Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So usually i ride by myself so i havent noticed this before but i rode in a group today and as i took off fairly hard a few people noticed a fair amount of black smoke come out of the pipe. Thought it could have just been carbon build up as i havent had a good ride in a while but thought i might get some ideas from you guys.

No smoke at idol or just cruising around, only under heavy acceleration.

Its an 07 with a full micron exhaust and power commander. I brought the bike like this and the previous owner had it dyno tuned by a honda dealer. Does smell a bit rich while its running.

Also i went for a good blast today, filled up before i left, 170km later and i have 2 bars left on the fuel guage.

Does this sound like its just running rich or could it be something else?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Fuel usage seems normal for a spirited ride. The fuel gauge isn't quite linear. Try filling up again and see how much fuel you actually used, then do the math for mpg or L/100km. I get an average of 42 mpg or 5.6 L/100km, but I hardly ever push it and I cruise at 4-5k rpm most of the time. Closer to 30-35 mpg or 7.8-6.7 L/100km is normal for hard riding.
What do you mean by "i havent had a good ride in a while"? How long has the bike been sitting? How long since your last fill-up before this ride?

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
09 w/ full Arrow system, PCV and dyno tune from Doug Chandler's (local shop owner) map from his son Jett's race bike (07)

gets 32-35 mpg, and have bit of soot in/around exhaust exit....

Don't have any reports of black smoke on accel ....

Do you mean "smokes like an old diesel at full throttle"?

How much smoke?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It hasnt been sitting i just havent had time to get out of town and open it up. Filled up 2 weeks ago before today.

As for how much smoke i dont know exactly as i didnt see it and havent tried to replicate it yet. From what i can gather it wasnt as bad as an old diesel but it was noticeable.

·
Registered
195 Posts
So old fuel isn't the issue. Could be bad quality fuel or over-fuelling from the tune.
Could also be lack of air. How long since the air filter has been changed?

Reactions: tary preisser

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I only run 98, 95 if i have to.

Its got a k&n filter in it but havent got around to checking how clean it is. Ive only had the bike about 4 months. Might be something to look at.

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts