Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local track (Gateway Intl. Raceway) has recently closed, so I will be doing some traveling for track days this year. Does anyone here have experience with the Wednesday track days at Blackhawk? I'm curious as to how many bikes actually show up ride in the middle of the week. It works out well for me because I have Tuesdays and Wednesdays off, but I can't imagine that it would be very crowded with most people working during the week.

·
BOTM Winner 07/12
1,714 Posts
I go to almost every one. They usually run 4 group at 15 mins each. They do three groups if the turnout isnt big. Believe it or not, they are pretty busy normally. Most days I went to last year were full. Not saying that if you showed up the day of that you woudnt get a spot but last year there were a few days they had to make room or turn people away with four groups.

Reactions: DarkTint

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow. Cool man, thanks for the info. I'm assuming they don't have a paddock area, so if I want some shade I should bring an ez-up canopy, correct?

·
BOTM Winner 07/12
1,714 Posts
Yea, they have some wooded areas but you'll need a tent of some kind. Your allowed to pit almost anywhere on the infield service roads but most pit on or around the front straight.

·
Registered
331 Posts
i like blackhawk even thoughturn 4 kicks my butt. pits are gravel a few asphalt spots. but there are trees by the bathrooms is where i pit some big trees help for shade. and why did gateway close? ive raced there in a kart before.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Apparently Gateway wasn't profitable enough so they owners put it for sale. I heard a couple days ago that a corporation was interested in it, but haven't heard anything since. Do you still race karts? I used to turn wrenches for a friend of mine on his karting team (PG Racing) and we traveled all over the midwest. Good times!

Is tech inspection at Blackhawk pretty strict on tires? Their packet says they require 70% of tread left, and I say mine would have about 40-50% left. At Gateway I could probably get away with it, but I would hate to travel and then find out my bike won't pass inspection because of tires. But I would also hate to get my tires swapped out when there is plenty of meat left on the current ones.

·
Registered
331 Posts
pg racing as in derek crocket? i used to race against him for a few races until i raced cars. id say the motovid trackdays at bhf are pretty relaxed on rules i think.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Damn it's a small world, I just got done sending Derek a message on facebook. Did you hear he just won the Supernats in Vegas? He's kicking some ass.

·
Registered
331 Posts
yes sir. im proud for him i got out of karting in mod 06. but im now getting back into it racing a kosmic kart with a rok tt tag engine

1 - 9 of 9 Posts