Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my friend was riding home today and the bike started over heating. once it was up to 230 he pulled over and coolant was flowing out the overflow and inside the bottle looks like this. blown head gasket?

Reactions: Nuttynu

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
he noticed the oil level was a little lower than usual

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
he noticed the oil level was a little lower than usual
Drain the oil and see what ya got

I cannot full tell what that is on my phone

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i told him too

·
Registered
248 Posts
that doesnt really look like oil + coolant. Usually when theres a blown head gasket, the oil level increases, unless its different with bikes.

·
Registered
596 Posts
exhaust gasses seem to be getting in the coolant overflow, i believe to be the reason why the coolant was overflowing, i would say right when you take took the cap off the overflow smell it to see if it smells like exhaust, which it most likely would have, and that pretty much says that its the headgasket..... exact thing happened with my friends accord

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Yep... you cooked the motor.

Just a head gasket if your lucky, but a lot more could have gone wrong as well... have fun cleaning out the cooling system, and good luck with it!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
he sent me this photo this morning. this came out of the cooling system line when he unhooked it

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
goin there tonight to rip off the cylinder head and have a look. should be interesting

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
if its look like that already buy a new motor youll never get that crap out of the entire engine and you'll constantly have motor issues... your gonna have to send the head out to be machined and hope the block hasn't warped... a new/used motor will be cheaper and more efficient in the long run

you can probably salvage the radiator just flush the **** outta it but if you have spare cash i personally would replace the radiators and hoses

·
Registered
596 Posts
if its look like that already buy a new motor youll never get that **** out and youll constantly have motor issues... your gonna have to send the head out to be machined and hope the block hasnt warped... a new/used motor will be cheaper and more efficient in the long run
^^ he is def. right, dont F with the motor, just replace it, you can find them for under $1000

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok ok ok. the response to get a whole new motor please explain? there is no need to get a whole new motor. ive noticed on this site not too many folks are engine savvy. if something is messed up they usually respond with "get a new motor". lol. ive rebuilt a few of these motors. just did mine actually after it had a seized main journal bearing, worn rings, and leaky valves. why get a whole new motor that i have no idea how well it was maintained when i can tear this one apart, clean it thoroughly, make sure everything is in spec, re lube it all and put back together for maybe $80 total. and please explain what you mean by "warped". its all moving mechaical parts that can be replaced. also i have 2 spare blocks and 2 spare cylinder heads. here are some pics of the latest motor rebuild

Reactions: Jhoney

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
but i do have a spare oil cooler, water pump, thermostat and housing, all the coolant lines to replace them. may need a new radiator and we are cleaning the stuff from round the cylinders.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I am a mechanic... i do this for a living..(cars mainly) but when you over heat a motor like this esp. aluminum they do not like it was cause warping cause **** gets very very hot and the cooling cause stuff to change so the proper way to check the head would be to have it sent out and have the deck milled to spec.. if you dont have a tru straight edge to check if the head it self warped... also coolant was running through oil passages rod bearings and main bearing are not to happy when coolant runs through those...also seals usually expand when coolant comes in contact with them...oil also lubes are clutch packs so now you have oil contaminating the fiber clutchs also going to cause premature wear

It looks like you have a little more mechanic ability than most so it looks like you could handle a full rebuild and be satisfied with your finds/results... most people on here suggest buyin the new motor due to that fact of **** im going to have to take this somewhere to be rebuilt and then put back into your bike... so dropping a motor and putting one right back in would be more beneficial for someone with the lack of mechanic ability

so back to the motor that just came out... the stuff that came out of the oil looks like toothpaste so i bet that headgasket was leaking alot longer than just a day to turn out looking like that.. your buddy probably just didnt notice till it finally let loose...

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
if its look like that already buy a new motor youll never get that crap out of the entire engine and you'll constantly have motor issues... your gonna have to send the head out to be machined and hope the block hasn't warped...
please explain in very good detail please. the entire engine? once you pull the cylinder head off its easily accessible to clean it up. why would i need the cylinder head machined? and what are you meaning by machined? and what motor issues would i have? and what do you mean by the block being warped?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts