Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm debating picking up a BMC Street filter for my 2008 CBR600. The only mods I am going to do to my bike is a full exhaust and I'm going to pick up a bazzaz. I care a lot about reliability which is why I'm not considering getting the race version of the filter. Basically my question is, if I go with the BM a C St. filter, will it filter less then the OEM stock one?

·
Registered
14,362 Posts
It will pass slightly more air, and more dirt. As far as performance gains, you won't notice any.

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you're going full exhaust, you're gonna need a tune anyway. At that point I would just throw on a better flowing filter for good measure. I don't think people generally have had reliability issues when going from an OEM to BMC (street or race).

But like TheX said, you probably won't notice too much of a HP difference from a filter unless you're highly modified.

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
I'm debating picking up a BMC Street filter for my 2008 CBR600. The only mods I am going to do to my bike is a full exhaust and I'm going to pick up a bazzaz. I care a lot about reliability which is why I'm not considering getting the race version of the filter. Basically my question is, if I go with the BM a C St. filter, will it filter less then the OEM stock one?
There really isn't much of a difference (I've had both btw)...get the cheaper one and put the extra cash towards gear and/or trackdays.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There really isn't much of a difference (I've had both btw)...get the cheaper one and put the extra cash towards gear and/or trackdays.
So keep the oem filter lol

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah just street riding. I'm trying to do minor mods so keep the urge to get a 1000 down. The 600 is plenty fast but I'm all about efficiency as well and won't do anything that will harm my bike in the long run

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was at the dyno shop yesterday, checking on dyno prices. Interestingly, the dyno guy said the difference between oem and aftermarket air filter is 2 hp after dyno. And this is a reputable dyno shop here.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Also i got a BMC filter off ebay in good condition for about 30 bucks. also with a reusable filter you can clean it instead of buying a new OEM when it gets to dirty.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Possible to use k&n cleaning kit on a BMC filter ?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I heard that in order to get the full benefit of an aftermarket filter you HAVE to put the manufacturer's sticker somewhere on the bike :lol:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I heard that in order to get the full benefit of an aftermarket filter you HAVE to put the manufacturer's sticker somewhere on the bike
LOL the sticker is the best part

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
anyone ever heard anything about modifying the stock filter?

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
To what end?

Read up on de-snorkling - same thing, no effect. Modern sportbikes already flow a very precise amount of air. You'll never need more until you start to get into deck height changes, compression changes, spark plug temps, ignition advance and - key - changing the intake trumpets that shape the air from the airbox and into the combustion chambers.

I'm not being an ass here. I am actually relaying to you what I've learned since starting with sportbikes in 2007 - there is almost no free horsepower in modern bikes, and most tuning is done to defeat emissions controls and smooth delivery because of software compromises. Chasing HP numbers on a bike that has more power to weight than most Ferraris is pointless unless you're doing the 1320 thing. A sportbike is a like a modern day Nissan GT-R - it's already hopped up. Change your gearing if you want a real difference in how the bike pulls.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts