Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an 04 Cbr600rr, when I’m riding fast and I open the throttle or I’m at high rpm my bike starts bogging. If I keep the throttle open after it bogs down, it has bursts of what the normal power should be and then cuts off just as quick, about 1-4 seconds randomly between bogging and going. I’ve had a couple of people tell me the fuel pump is the likely cause, so I got a multimeter to test it. I’m an idiot and forgot I don’t know crap about electrical so I’m lost. So anyways,
1: can someone explain in detail how to tell if I need a new fuel pump?
2: I took out the pump and everything and put it back together, do I need to bleed air out of the lines? I tried putting my hand in the air box to feel if the secondary injectors were kicking on, but they wouldn’t, and so I’m wondering if they’re just not getting fuel or if the problem is that bad.
3: where tf can I pressure test the fuel system?
4: how do you replace the pump? I’ve seen replacement pump parts for not that expensive, but how much of it do I need to replace and for the love of god how do I take it apart? I can’t figure that one out

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I have an 04 Cbr600rr, when I’m riding fast and I open the throttle or I’m at high rpm my bike starts bogging. If I keep the throttle open after it bogs down, it has bursts of what the normal power should be and then cuts off just as quick, about 1-4 seconds randomly between bogging and going. I’ve had a couple of people tell me the fuel pump is the likely cause, so I got a multimeter to test it. I’m an idiot and forgot I don’t know crap about electrical so I’m lost. So anyways,
2: I took out the pump and everything and put it back together, do I need to bleed air out of the lines? I tried putting my hand in the air box to feel if the secondary injectors were kicking on, but they wouldn’t, and so I’m wondering if they’re just not getting fuel or if the problem is that bad.
3: where tf can I pressure test the fuel system?
4: how do you replace the pump? I’ve seen replacement pump parts for not that expensive, but how much of it do I need to replace and for the love of god how do I take it apart? I can’t figure that one out
The answer to every question you have is in the service manual. Search for a downloadable copy, they are easy enough to find.

·
Registered
638 Posts
If you're new to all this, and it sounds like you are, the cheapest and ultimately most pain free thing to do is just buy a new fuel pump unit from Honda. Looks like about $360. Then you just remove the old one and plug in the new one.

The likely problem is the internal filter. These are not replaceable. If it's partially clogged there's no fixing it. And after nearly 20 years of service you can't fault it really.

Replacing pump motors and strainers etc. is throwing good money after bad. And since you have to put everything back together before really testing it there're all the hours of labor to consider.

When I had this issue a few years ago on a 500R it was because the bike had sat and the gas and crud had hardened in the internal filter. I only found this out after cutting open the filter housing with a dremel.

Hand Wood Finger Gesture Thumb

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The answer to every question you have is in the service manual. Search for a downloadable copy, they are easy enough to find.
i wish it was that easy, I did find a service manual but it had nothing in there even relating to the fuel pump. And then online I couldn’t find any answers either

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you're new to all this, and it sounds like you are, the cheapest and ultimately most pain free thing to do is just buy a new fuel pump unit from Honda. Looks like about $360. Then you just remove the old one and plug in the new one.

The likely problem is the internal filter. These are not replaceable. If it's partially clogged there's no fixing it. And after nearly 20 years of service you can't fault it really.

Replacing pump motors and strainers etc. is throwing good money after bad. And since you have to put everything back together before really testing it there're all the hours of labor to consider.

When I had this issue a few years ago on a 500R it was because the bike had sat and the gas and crud had hardened in the internal filter. I only found this out after cutting open the filter housing with a dremel.

View attachment 226261
Yeah I’ve looked at the options, but how do I test if it really is bad or not? Even though it’s most likely the fuel pump I want to be 100% sure it needs replacing before spending 350 on it. In addition, my motorcycle has almost 40k miles so I am assuming it is the pump, but I can’t find the pressure test port anywhere on the fuel system. There is one spot that looks like it could be it, but it’s right up against the frame with no room to plug anything in

·
Registered
308 Posts
Try removing the fuel pump and then connecting it to the bike's electrics and test it off the bike to see if it pumps continuously. Obviously if pumping fuel take great care how you do it and make sure you attach a hose to pump into a container. You could have both inlet and outlet in the same container, so you constantly recycle the fuel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Try removing the fuel pump and then connecting it to the bike's electrics and test it off the bike to see if it pumps continuously. Obviously if pumping fuel take great care how you do it and make sure you attach a hose to pump into a container. You could have both inlet and outlet in the same container, so you constantly recycle the fuel.
Thanks for the idea

·
Registered
638 Posts
When I had this issue I was stumped and ended up taking it to the shop. He connected a pressure gauge directly to the fuel supply line after it leaves the tank. Mine was having a hard time idling it was so clogged so the bike didn't need to be running. He could tell immediately my pressure was too low.

It can only be three things.
Spark -- least likely. It would mean your ecu is cutting spark at high revs or plugs or coils are dropping out and that's unlikely.
Air -- easy enough to check that nothing is blocked and filter is passing enough air
Gas -- in my experience it's always a fuel issue. Usually a new pump solves it. It can theoretically also be dirty injectors (and you've got a fair number of miles) but that's never been it for me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My fuel pump was going out. I went on ebay and found a couple of used ones. The nice thing about some of the sellers is they say how many miles were on the bike the fuel pump came from so you can probably get a pump with a lot less miles on it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i wish it was that easy, I did find a service manual but it had nothing in there even relating to the fuel pump. And then online I couldn’t find any answers either
The reason you won't find it in the manual is that Honda in their wisdom sell fuel pumps as complete tank units which are hideously expensive ($450.00 + usd) To replace the pump is pretty straight forward once you get the tank off. Take your time and lots of photos of where wires go etc and you'll be fine. Pumps are availible on e-bay pretty cheap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts