Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Honda CBR600RR
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a 2012 600RR. A day or two ago as I was riding on the highway at 75 ish mph, the bike bogged down momentarily as if it was running out of fuel. I thought nothing of it and then 2 minutes later it happened again. It does this only at highway speeds above 70 mph. The rpms suddenly drop, and the check engine light and oil light flash on the dash while it is bogging down, then once it regains power they go away. Any idea of what this could be?

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
What rpms were you at and how many miles on the bike? I had a bog at about 9k (I think) and the bike would make a gargling sound. I replaced my fuel pump (approx 35k miles) and the problem went away. I never had a light come on though. Sounds like you have a different issue.

·
Registered
2012 Honda CBR600RR
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What rpms were you at and how many miles on the bike? I had a bog at about 9k (I think) and the bike would make a gargling sound. I replaced my fuel pump (approx 35k miles) and the problem went away. I never had a light come on though. Sounds like you have a different issue.
I'm at 21,500 miles, the rpms where this happens are 7100+, its not a specific number, just above a certain speed it starts doing this.

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Did you do some searches on this forum about the lights coming on? Like you mention its above 70mph, maybe search around for speed sensor? Spark plugs?

·
Registered
2012 Honda CBR600RR
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you do some searches on this forum about the lights coming on? Like you mention its above 70mph, maybe search around for speed sensor? Spark plugs?
Yeah I've looked at those posts, however the one that seemed closest to mine people said might be an oil pressure issue or maybe the fuel pump. I'll try diagnosing those first then come back, just was wondering if anyone has had the exact same issue I have.

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Yeah, wait for some of the members that will probably know this off the top of their head.

·
Registered
21 Posts
When is the last time the plugs where changed? If your in second or third gear and go wide open throttle does it do it and if it does is it do it continuous till you let off, or does it break up (feel like it’s cutting in and out) as you make your way to redline or?

·
Registered
2012 Honda CBR600RR
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When is the last time the plugs where changed? If your in second or third gear and go wide open throttle does it do it and if it does is it do it continuous till you let off, or does it break up (feel like it’s cutting in and out) as you make your way to redline or?
I have not changed the plugs since I bought the bike at 16.9k miles. It never does it at wide open throttle. Something new happened. Today I took the bike out and while I was decelerating at a lower speed in 2nd gear it bogged, engine light and HESD light turned on, and it cut out completely. I started it up while moving and it fired up instantly. So now I think it's not at a specific speed anymore, it's random.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have not changed the plugs since I bought the bike at 16.9k miles. It never does it at wide open throttle. Something new happened. Today I took the bike out and while I was decelerating at a lower speed in 2nd gear it bogged, engine light and HESD light turned on, and it cut out completely. I started it up while moving and it fired up instantly. So now I think it's not at a specific speed anymore, it's random.
if it won’t due it at wide open throttle then I personally doubt it’s the pump or the plugs. Have you ever had an issue with the bike starting? I actually had a short term problem on my 2013 which might just be your issue. My kill switch went bad, wasn’t always making a connection. My bike would just crank then finally it would start. I actually had it like shut off while riding and lights came on them bam ran normal. I by passed my kill switch (opened it and connected the wires) but you could get a new one for $50 ish I believe. I got a feeling this might just be your problem. If you don’t care about by passing it, all it will cost you is time!

·
Registered
2012 Honda CBR600RR
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if it won’t due it at wide open throttle then I personally doubt it’s the pump or the plugs. Have you ever had an issue with the bike starting? I actually had a short term problem on my 2013 which might just be your issue. My kill switch went bad, wasn’t always making a connection. My bike would just crank then finally it would start. I actually had it like shut off while riding and lights came on them bam ran normal. I by passed my kill switch (opened it and connected the wires) but you could get a new one for $50 ish I believe. I got a feeling this might just be your problem. If you don’t care about by passing it, all it will cost you is time!
I do notice when I cold start it first thing it hesitates a bit and the engine light and HESD light flash, the rpms climb a bit, then drop down. I could take it apart and check it out.
Did yours shut off randomly? Or was it predictable?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I do notice when I cold start it first thing it hesitates a bit and the engine light and HESD light flash, the rpms climb a bit, then drop down. I could take it apart and check it out.
Did yours shut off randomly? Or was it predictable?
it was totally random. When it first happened it took 20 min to get the bike started again. Then I tried to replicate the issue when I got home and couldn’t. Couple days later it did it again when trying to start the bike. Then it did it while I was riding it and that made me really look into it. Once I bypassed the kill switch it hasn’t done it since and that was a year ago. This entire season was trouble free. If your bike isn’t as bad it might just be a spot that is a enough to cause an issue with enough vibration hence 70+ mph.

·
Registered
2012 Honda CBR600RR
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it was totally random. When it first happened it took 20 min to get the bike started again. Then I tried to replicate the issue when I got home and couldn’t. Couple days later it did it again when trying to start the bike. Then it did it while I was riding it and that made me really look into it. Once I bypassed the kill switch it hasn’t done it since and that was a year ago. This entire season was trouble free. If your bike isn’t as bad it might just be a spot that is a enough to cause an issue with enough vibration hence 70+ mph.
Just discovered the battery ground connection was loose, trying to tighten it down properly and Ill come back.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts