Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious what your guys' tecnique is for starting in 1st gear. For some reason, my engine seems to bog down to a very low RMP (almost to the point of stalling), no matter how much gas I give. This is especially noticable during quicker starts, so I'm forced to feather the clutch more than I would when driving my car. Any suggestions?

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
How new is the RR??? When Mine was new it took about 500 miles for the clutch to break in. That thing stalled constantly because the new clutch was too grippy. It'll smoothe out in time

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not trying to launch off the line or anything. I'm talking about just a normal paced start from a standstill. The bike is only about a month old, and has 900 miles on it. I'll check later to see what I'm idling at.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Just slip the clutch more that's what it's for. It's not going to be like your car clutch it's designed to be slipped more. I guess I use about 5-5.5K also and just when I feel the clutch begin to catch I give it more gas.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Figure out where your clutch grabs and go from there. It took me a while to figure out the right combo of throttle/clutch when learned how to get off the line.

I guess I'm light enough that I can let out the clutch slowly, and then bike will actually start moving with no throttle. I just took it from there and started combining the two.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
doesn't matter how light u are.. im 220lbs and can let the clutch out slow enough to let it start moving by itself.. with no throttle, i can get up to 76mph going on a leveled road

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yeah same here. i'm 206lbs. I noticed when i first bought it how sluggish the take off is, kind of annoyed me, but i just bought some new sprockets, and will find out the real deal when i get home to put them on.

·
Registered
496 Posts
GAS

Yea Im the same way 195 Lbs and leave stopn lights about 3K.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Idle RPM should be around 1300...

When I start off at the line, I release the clutch gradually and consistently...I roll the throttle at the same time and do both in one clean motion together...I prefer not to take off at any RPM greater than ~2200. Anything more than that and I am afraid I will burn my friction plates out before 10,000 mi (I'm currently at 5500) I'm a clutch perfectionist and drive any manual car in the same manner. Although I might be a granny off the start, it's the techniques that count :)

The flywheel in our RR's must be next to nothing in weight...As you notice, revs decrease and increase very quickly. The lighter the flywheel, the less momentum, the less momentum, the more finicky the bike is to start off from a stop. I remember my ex500...All I had to do was gradually ease off on the clutch, and the tiniest bit of throttle would get her moving.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If I really wanna granny off the line I slip the clutch out and roll on the throttle to about 2000 thats all it takes. My bike will start to roll with just the clutch too.

·
Registered
638 Posts
dcpedit,

Typically, once the clutch strats to grab (and you hear the engine slowing down), you should give the engine more gas while realeasing the clutch. if this is done correctly, the engine rpm will not increase by much. After a while, this will become 2nd nature.

checking the rpms at no load is not a good indicator when relasing the clutch, as all that changes the moment you begin to load the engine. use your ears instead..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts