Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
C.F.A. member / whore
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i'm flushing the coolant to put in water wetter, drained and flushed all good, go to reinstall the drain plug in the water pump, didn't have a torque spec and i'm kind of a noob at this whole do it urself mechanic stuff so i thought tighter is better than looser, 18 ft lb's sounds okay since the oil drain bolt was 20 right? WRONG... i see it still leakin water after i torqued it and i go to wipe the drip and wiggle the bolt and it comes off in my hand, HALF THE BOLT, in my hand, F*&%, so i tried to unscrew the stuck end with some pointy apparati but no luck, now i got the waterpump off (= open hole in my bike straight to the crankcase luckily i didnt have to dump the brand new oil), and i need a way to get the broken end out of there, and their self tapping tips on 6mm bolts so it could be in there good... any suggestions ? :(

·
C.F.A. member / whore
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks cling, that's what my dad recommended too, but its so small, if it breaks i'm screwed... is that my only option? :(

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Pretty much, Its not that small, it will be easier then you think. Just read up on easy outs or have somebody that knows what they are doing do it.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hey becareful when using the easyout!!! I broke off an 8mm bolt in my case and then broke the easy out off in the bolt! It pays to buy the more exspensive easyouts! If you know a mechanic ask him if he has any like snap-on or mac ones. Goodluck and let me kno if you get it!

·
Registered
200 Posts
try to get the tapered easy out bits if you can, and like eclipse said, get good quality ones.... snap-on! Also, you could try heating the area around the broken bolt, but if anything melts, you've gone to far!

·
C.F.A. member / whore
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
haha thanks guys i'll let you know as soon as i get some easy outs how it goes.

·
C.F.A. member / whore
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
easy outs rock!!! penetrator and an hour later the broken end is out! goin to the track for the first time next weekend :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Reviving a very old thread, just broke the water pump drain bolt on my '07 600RR, which easy out did you use to get the M6 bolt out? Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
I normally would drill the center of the bolt with a drill a little smaller than the bolt itself...

It relieves the pressure on the walls of the thread and gets the bolt out in a blink!

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Get a reverse (left hand) drill bit set. As you drill in it puts reverse pressure on the bolt to get it to back itself out.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
It could help to punch/centerdrill before you use the easyouts... If the broken half is not tight, you could try to use some sort of metal-compatible adhesive to stick a short rod of some sort to the stuck half amd then screw it out lightly

1 - 13 of 13 Posts