Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 600rr for a local guy who had a bill of sale. I work corrections and was able to check the VIN before I picked it up. The title is still held by Honda Motor Co but it is paied off and clear. It does not have anything listed with salvaged or total loss.

My question is what is the process of getting the title in my name...?

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
Call Honda motor company and ask them for the title if one was issued
they should tell who was it issued to then try an obtain a copy of that
title from there with that document and the bill of sale you got the DMV
will issue a new title in your name after paying the taxes and fees

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That what I wanted to hear! Hope it goes that smooth. I'm in Minnesota and it seems like the dmv will title pretty much anything. For what I picked up the bike for I am more then willing to jump through a few hoops! Thanks!

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
That what I wanted to hear! Hope it goes that smooth. I'm in Minnesota and it seems like the dmv will title pretty much anything. For what I picked up the bike for I am more then willing to jump through a few hoops! Thanks!
You should not have any problems you got the bill of sale that is the main
document get a new title issued in your name is the DMV main job God forbid
if your attempts to get your hands on the original title ain't successful the
DMV should be able to get that document then issue a new title to you

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
I would never buy a bike without a title and bill of sale signed over to me at the time of cash changing hands. Expecting a new owner to hunt down a title is bogus.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i always thought that if the bike/car is payd off the the title would be in the owners hand. maybe its different where you live. but as long as nothing is shady about the situation titling is usualy pretty easy, may take a little while tho. but i wouldn pay anything without having the title signed over to you.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Call Honda motor company and ask them for the title if one was issued
they should tell who was it issued to then try an obtain a copy of that
title from there with that document and the bill of sale you got the DMV
will issue a new title in your name after paying the taxes and fees
:+1::+1::+1:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Very odd - let us know how it goes.

This bill of sale - is it form PS2000? http://www.dps.state.mn.us/dvs/PDFForms/FormFrame.htm If so sounds like you just need to take that to the DMV - I can't tell for sure if you have to have the actual title in hand...? Just need the seller to sign the form certifying there's no other claims on the vehicle. There aren't very good instructions on the MN website that I can find.

(I have nothing more to add, sorry - I have no idea how MN does things. In Texas, you would have basically purchased a bike that didn't belong to the seller.)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Because if he financed through Honda, Honda will have the title....? Just like any other bank or credit union. Finance = they hold the title. It's just like any motor vehicle loan.

Anytime I've sold a vehicle with a loan, I would pay it off with the purchasers $$, issue a bill of sale - bank mails you the title unless they store the title at a local branch and you can pick it up. Nothing weird about it.

Now if the person he purchased the bike from, didn't pay off the loan and Honda is rightfully holding the title to THEIR bike - this purchaser is going to have a difficult time on his hands soon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts