·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All

New to this forum and new to the world of 600s. Just bought an RR
and am in awe of the bike. Its amazing.

I come from a 2stroke backround and am not used to the amount
of engine braking the 4stroke has over 250 smokers...especially in 1st gear whilst stopping for lights or going round roundabouts or rolling downhill.

Do you guys whip the clutch in early for the three above instances
or use the engine braking. Just not used to it.

Apart from that the RR is brilliant. The front just feels so planted!

Cheers and Hello.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers and thanks for the reply. Engine brake just really struck me.
Spose I'll get used to it in time.

Thanks for the welcome Ceph.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Bunny24: Welcome to the forum, it's always good to have a new memeber :) As Ceph said, ride safe, enjoy and always wear your gear.

Ye, compared to a car or whatever there is a lot of braking from the engine and it amazes me sometimes just how quickly you can slow down without even using the brakes. I usually play with the clutch a little so that the bike doesn't jerk too much, just so that everything feels nice and smooth. But that's really only when going pretty slowly. At higher speeds just use the engine braking to your advantage!

·
Registered
595 Posts
i would only use first gear to accellerate or only downshift into first in an extremely slow riding situation. If you are going too slow to be in 2nd gear and 1st gear is getting jerky, feather the clutch. If you are coming to a stop, downshift into first right as you come to a stop and do not release the clutch unless you plan on taking off.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info Rhino and Mad1.

Yeah at higher speeds the engine braking seems less of an issue.
Just 1st gear round 50km/h (30miles) and slowing for lights I'd look
like a jack rabbit under engine braking. Bike feels fine in second at that speed and can still accelerate well but I'm just used to shifting to first, then clutch, before coming to a stop.

Thanks again.

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
bunny
welcome to the best RR website congrats on the bike
now do not be a stranger or shy ask an many questions as you can just remember to always use the search option before starting a new post and one last thinh we need to see some bike pictures ride safe and again welcome to the RR family ;-)

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
hey hey!! welcome to the family bunny24!!
when it comes to engine breaking, 1st gear it is pretty heavy. BE CAREFUL allowing engine breaking in 1st while cornering, as it can cause a loss of grip, and well, you know what happens next.
just take your time with the bike, and you'll be able to tell what's comfy for you, clutchwise and engine breakingwise, and you'll get used to just about everything the RR has to offer.... except for how great it is. i still haven't gotten used to that! :razz:

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
I have to agree with the majority here. I rarely, but sometimes, use the engine brake in first gear. I usually wind down 4th...3rd...2nd and then just hit neutral as I coast to a stop. However, you can use first gear engine braking during slow situations. I think what everybody here has eluded to is the significant difference in gear ratio between first and second. So when your in a normal downshift mode you feel 4th....then 3rd...then 2nd....and if your not paying attention and try to grab first it can get ugly quick. :mrgreen: You sound like an intelligent rider so just take it easy for awhile and when you do use first just feather the clutch until the rear grabs. You'll get the hang of it in no time.

Welcome to the board! :thumbup:

Tim

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey guys, I'm buying a 600rr next month (don't have all the cash yet), and I'm taking my MSF in two weeks. I have a question along the same line as the previous discussion... I just wanna make sure I'm clear on what is being said. Are you guys saying that when braking, you should down shift to neutral, and then coast to a stop? When can you use first gear for braking? I mean at what speed should 1st gear be an option? I'm new to riding, so I'm trying to ask as many questions as possible. Thanks in advance.

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
Welcome.

I Engine brake mine, Downshifting through the gears but I am trying to get out of the habbit. It is hell on the rear tire. I have looked behind the bike durring some hard low gear engine braking in combo with the rear and front brakes and seen rubber balls shredding off of the rear tire. I am going to try to break myself of the habbit when I get new tires this spring. It sure is fun though getting that ass end wiggling around while hard braking.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It sounds like engine braking is not good for the bike. Would you agree? Or does it not matter either way? Which braking style would you suggest for a new rider? Also, say for instance I'm about to stop at a traffic light, and I'm braking using my front and rear brakes. Do I also down shift as I'm doing that, or can I down shift once I stop?

·
Registered
175 Posts
They'll cover it pretty well in the MSF. What they're saying is don't drop to first unless you are going real slow, and if you do, it can be jerky.

You can slow down with the brakes any time, but as the bike gets too slow for the gear it's in, pull in the clutch and come to a stop while you bring it back to first. That's coming to a stop.

If you aren't coming to a stop, you can downshift and lay off the throttle a bit and the bike will slow down really well.

Good luck with your MSF. I had a lot of fun in mine.

·
Registered
175 Posts
In the class, and you should on the road too, be in first as you stop. That way if you need to move quickly to get out of danger, you can. That's how they teach you. It feels tricky at first, but becomes real easy real quick.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
welcome to the family JSnider!
engine braking is a good way to slow down all the way down to second, and then when you're like... under 20mph you can shift to first and just feather the clutch to slow down more, but never should you just slam it in first and let the engine brake for you. it's not a difficult thing to learn, comes pretty easily as you learn how to ride. good luck at the MSF. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
429 Posts
JSnider: I try to never put the bike into first until I'm at a complete stop. I usually downshift while braking until I get to second and then stay in second until I stop. Then it's into neutral or first (depending on the situation). You need to remember that the clutch isn't an on/off switch, you can use it to control how the bike reacts to changing up and down gears and by using the clutch you can downshift very smoothly without ever locking the back wheel. WherzRoony is probably on the rear brake while downshifting which can cause the rear wheel to lock pretty easily, especially while braking moderately with the front.

I must admit though, sometimes on the track under hard braking when the back wheel is almost off the ground I sometimes lock the back wheel by downshifting and dropping the clutch too quickly changing from 3rd to 2nd. I suppose it's all in the technique.

Don't worry about all this, they'll teach you in the course (so I hear, we don't have such a thing as MSF in South Africa). The rest you'll pick up with experience, remember to just take it slow and easy, ride safe and just enjoy. Oh, and ALWAYS wear your gear :cool:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts