Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, when i got my front end in the mail (forks, brakes, ets), the front calipers were stuck shut. What do i need to do to get the pads seperated to be able to get the rotors in between them?

i think what happened is someone squeezed the brake lever with the calipers off the rotors, causing them to compress all the way

thanks

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Should be able to hook the edges of the pad backing and sqeeze the pad and pistons back into the caliper by hand. I've done it on car calipers. I'd avoid prying it in case you damage the pads. I suppose if all else fails you could just pry them apart and buy new pads.

·
Registered
730 Posts
You can pry without damaging the pads. Just be careful.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
if they dont squeeze back very easily you can always loosen the bleeder

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i pryed em and they loosened them right up.

but for some reason i'm getting a lot of resistance and something feels unbalanced as it's only part of the rotation of the wheel (part of a complete turn has alot of resistance, the other part has barely any).

so, either my other one isn't straight (i thought it was) or my wheel is bent .. but i took my wheel to cycle gear and the put it on the balancer and said it was good.

damnit, i hope this doesn't set me back :(

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it's either the other brake rotor or the wheel.

i took the wheel to cycle gear and had them spin it, and they said it was within spec and good to go.

the other brake rotor appears straight.

When i sput the whole wheel and brake rotor assembly while on the bike, i could see the brake rotor warping in and out .. but i'm not sure if the wheel is causing it, or if it's warped.

then i took the rotor off, and spun the wheel and held up something to the side of it and it was moving a tiny tiny bit, but i think it should be good.

i'm pissed.

·
Registered
921 Posts
As the rotor is bolted to the centre hub of the wheel you would have to do some serious damage to the wheel to get it out of true down there unless maybe the spindle is bent? More likely it's the rotor damaged.

You could always try temporarily swapping the good rotor off the other side to get a comparison.

·
Not right now chief, im in the f'ing zone
4,495 Posts
It could jsut be the rotor is not torqued down the same on every bolt which may cause one side of the rotor to "lift"

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cause a new rotor, and the wheel spins much better.

although there is still quite a bit of friction, is this normal? i know the pads have constant contact with the rotors, i'm just not sure how much is normal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts