Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have a problem. saturday i installed my g craft rear brake resvoir. looks got got the brakes bleed and everything.but to my amazment my buddy just pointed out that i used DOT3 brake fluid. Now will that be a problem or can i use? thanks for the help

·
Registered
771 Posts
DOT3 has a lower boiling point than DOT4. since it's on your rear brake I doubt it will make a big difference unless you use that brake alot. just change it the next time you replace your front brake fluid with DOT4.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok i really don't use i rear brake as hard as most people really only in hard stops any other time i am on it slightly. so you think it will be fine? i was think about changing to steel braided lines soon. so i guess when i do that i will change it.

·
Ducati Champion Del Mondo
7,847 Posts
Personally if it was my bike, I would bleed it and put 4 in it for P.O.M..

Better safe than sorry for as cheap as brake fulid is.
Jason

·
Ninjore Supreme
6,535 Posts
LMFAO You had better change it your bike could blow up.

·
7,847 Posts
If you cared enough to ask and cared enough to upgrade your brake res., well then why not do it right? Is it going to hurt anything, doubtful but for as easy as it is to fix, why not buy a speed bleeder and do it the way would have liked it to be done in the first place.

Jason

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Changing it now would be a waste of time and money. The resevoir is not a perfrmance upgrade it's cosmetic.

The stock rear brake is more than adequate and is not used enough to worry about the lower boiling point of DOT 3 fluid. Dot 3 is compatible with DOT 4 so there is really no performance advantage to changing it out now. Next time you bleed the front, then you could do the rear as well becasue you won't need a full bottle for the front bleed and you shouldn't reuse an open container of brake fluid

·
7,847 Posts
Just ask yourself this... If you had to do it all over again would you have used DOT 4? If the answer is yes, switch it out IMO.

Jason

·
Registered
147 Posts
Personally I would say dot 3 is OK for the rear brake providing that you dont use it much...If worried that much about the rear brake you are using it too much!

The front brake would be more of concern however...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts