Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What hand brake lever guard do you like, and why?

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
356 Posts
and why do they cost so much?
I'm just shopping now... So far looking at Woodcraft Vortex and LSL because they clamp directly to the bar rather than the rest of them which attach via a bar end plug.
The bars in my crash spares bin all have pre-installed bar ends so i don't want to have to pull them out to install the guard. Furthermore, in a light off i'm imagining the bar end plug will take the hit and the guard will likely be resuable... however with the ones that are integrated into the bar end plug i'm guessing the tension screw and mechanism will get ground off making them kinda disposable? examples of each kind below so you can see what i mean...

Attachments

·
Registered
356 Posts
very cool! but don't underestimate the tech guy's inability to comprehend how they meet the requirement if they're not what he's expecting to see... just sayin'

·
Registered
190 Posts
very cool! but don't underestimate the tech guy's inability to comprehend how they meet the requirement if they're not what he's expecting to see... just sayin'

Not sure what org you’re referring to, but they are all over the WERA and CCS grids. It does exactly what its intended to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
356 Posts
im sure the pro operations are fine with it. good for you for being able to only run at that sort of track. just saying that at the sort of small volunteer run local tracks that many people run at, the staffing may not be perfect... i’ve seen 2smokes having to argue over belly pans, clip links being rejected because they’re expecting riveted master, etc.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
and why do they cost so much?
I'm just shopping now... So far looking at Woodcraft Vortex and LSL because they clamp directly to the bar rather than the rest of them which attach via a bar end plug.
The bars in my crash spares bin all have pre-installed bar ends so i don't want to have to pull them out to install the guard. Furthermore, in a light off i'm imagining the bar end plug will take the hit and the guard will likely be resuable... however with the ones that are integrated into the bar end plug i'm guessing the tension screw and mechanism will get ground off making them kinda disposable? examples of each kind below so you can see what i mean...
That's kind of the dilemma I have, I have OEM clip-ons with the bar weights. The weight I can easily remove, so I have looked at (online) different brands and some like Sato Racing claim to fit inside the OEM clip-on, once the weight is removed of course.

I just want to use it for some track days, not for competition.

I am kind of leaning towards the Driven Racing item.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,908 Posts
do you think you need a lever guard for track days? are you anticipating rubbing other riders? i've never seen a track day organization with these as a requirement for participating.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
do you think you need a lever guard for track days? are you anticipating rubbing other riders? i've never seen a track day organization with these as a requirement for participating.
I would not think so, but I have never ridden on a track so I would have to start with the cherries and who knows what may happen out of your own control

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh hey I just remembered there was a nasty wreck here, fellow from church, a deer hit him on the right side and locked his front brake. Nasty.

·
Registered
356 Posts
our local days don’t... yet. but you didn’t used to need a snell helmet for trackdays, but did to race, and now... the latest thing around here is a ban of aftermarket spin on oil filters and that trickled down to track days fast... so i don’t think it’s necessarily a bad idea to take the hint from the racers rule book when prepping your trackday bike.... also, you end up doing track days with unknown wannabe rossi’s who have had no training so while you shouldn’t be rubbing, who knows?

·
Registered
356 Posts
also, i ended up with a wrecked bike and a grade 3 concussion from a bar incident when i used to race, so maybe i’m a bit over cautious

·
Registered
75 Posts
Very easy for a lever to come into contact with a car or vans wing mirror on the road,when filtering in traffic or in heavy city centre traffic and car drivers trying to squeeze you in..

Also trackday riders all have their own ideas of how to ride through a corner and overtaking others through corners,so its a no brainer to add them to your bike.

So clutch/brake lever guards can be very handy and life saving,when you stop and think about it.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
You'll never go elbow to elbow like this at a trackday unless you want a black flag and kicked out. Not to say it's worthless, just not something that is going to occur in a non racing for points environment

·
Registered
356 Posts
cuz the hotshots who think they’re god and have never run a trackday before never go in too hot and are suddenly not where you expect them to be?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts