Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After recently buying my 03 Cbr600rr the front and rear pads are at approx 3mm thickness so am going to replace them. Question is,as it’s my first sports bike,do you guys us hh sintered or organic please?
Thanks

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had my pads delivered,looks easy enough to change front and back,but do I need to take some brake fluid out of my reservoir before pushing the pistons back in to fit the new pads guys!!

·
Registered
389 Posts
The resi is under the tail fairing. If I remember correctly you can fill it without completely removing the fairing...

·
Registered
348 Posts
The resi is under the tail fairing. If I remember correctly you can fill it without completely removing the fairing...
The method I used was to unbolt the reservoir instead of removing bodywork. It was slow going but it is an option, although I am not knowledgeable enough to say it is good.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok I’ll give it a go guys,due to 2 pairs of new pads on the front,do you normally take a little fluid out of the resi or should there be enough room to depress the pistons enough to fit new pads

·
Registered
348 Posts
Ok I’ll give it a go guys,due to 2 pairs of new pads on the front,do you normally take a little fluid out of the resi or should there be enough room to depress the pistons enough to fit new pads
I take a little out, because I am going to flush & bleed anyway. BUT, theoretically there should be enough room, IF the master has not been topped off. YMMV

·
Registered
966 Posts
Push pistons in until the resivoir is totally full then take some out if the pistons still need to move.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Last question ;-)
I know you loosen the pad resting bolt on the rear then remove caliper bolt,but the fronts look a little more complicated,is it similar to the rear or anyone have a link to do the job as I don’t have a manual etc

·
Registered
348 Posts
Last question ;-)
I know you loosen the pad resting bolt on the rear then remove caliper bolt,but the fronts look a little more complicated,is it similar to the rear or anyone have a link to do the job as I don’t have a manual etc
I have a book here and looked up for a 2003:

Slacken the pad retaining pins. Unscrew the caliper mounting bolts and remove caliper. Unscrew and remove the pad retaining pins, then remove the pad spring, noting how it fits. Lift the pads out.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Am assuming the pad spring is what the pads sit in while in the caliper?
When looking at the caliper on the disk,there is a brass/copper plate/spring on top of the caliper,what is this for and does that need removal to replace pads?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Yea those things sit in between the piston and the brake pad. You don't need them per say, but I don't know why you would want to remove them either.

I believe they are there to reduce noise/harshness

1 - 20 of 31 Posts