Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi RR dot net,

Been chasing down a braking gremlin in my new to me 2005.

Fromt brake pulses when coming tona controlled stop from 10mph. Makes me feel like a retard trying to stop.

My street triple had the same issue when I first got it. Rotor warped so bad that it would actually back the pads out when riding far enough to have to grab the lever twice on initial application, almost as if you installed new pads and were pumping the lever to move the pistons. Super duper ******* dangerous.

Now here's where it gets whacky with the CBR, when I removed the original rotors, you could see spots where it looks like the pads were not grabbing as hard, oxidation still present on parts of the rotors contact surface. Case closed, or so I thought.

I went ahead and got new pads and rotors. Cleaned the calipers and pistons extremely well during. And the problem STILL persists. Hard braking is okay. But finessing to a stop still feels out of control. Any ideas what else could be going on? I noticed a tiny dent in the circumference of the front wheel. Impact damage. In any case I'm replacing the front wheel.

Any ideas are appreciated. Maybe bleed the front brakes next? Inspect the MC?

I've heard the pins that the pads "ride" on could also be the culprit. So cleaning/polishing them is next.

Thanks.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I was going to say check the floating buttons (where disc connects to carrier) and give them a good clean as this can give a similar feeling if the discs can't move due to dirt build up. However you've replaced the discs and pads and problem still persists.

Did you check the run out of the old discs before ditching them? They may have been fine! Check the run out of the wheel as well and see if that's true.

Is the nut holding the head bearings as tight as it should be? If not you'll get a little wobble from there. Are the head bearings in good condition? No notchiness when turning the bars with wheel off the ground? Front axle correctly tightened and spacers in the correct sides? Disc bolts all tightened up properly?

As you have new discs and pads it's unlikely to be them.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,787 Posts
your problem isn't in your rotors. if they were warped they'd pulse always.

you probably have a loose headset.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, this is interesting, as I replaced the steering stem nut recently. Will check that first!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll take a look, thanks! The whole front end is going to be gone over.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Check the wheel, if they have been painted/powdercoated, their may be paint on the mating surface that will distort the rotor.
The other possibility may be if you used loctite and some got under the rotor between the wheel mating face, again distorting the rotor.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
I've seen discs warp and give a pulse feedback through pedal when my brother DID NOT follow the clearly written installation instructions that stated that the discs needed to be tightened in a star pattern to 20 and then 50 ft/lbs......he put them on with his "palm torque wrench" and they warped and pulsed every time he tried this.
HTH

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi all, thanks for the continued input.

Tary - 50ft/lb seems WAY excessive for rotor bolts. I believe the specs for the front rotors are 14 ft/lb, and I do torque using a star pattern.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Reviving this thread for more ideas.

Headstock bearings are good.

I was planning on swapping to SS lines and a 07 radial master anyways. I had a spare front wheel from my other CBR. Slapped that all on and hoped.

Somehow, still have that annoying pulse at low speeds. Progressive braking isnt an issue. Braking at high speeds is fine. In fact, besides the pulse, my brakes feel great! Oh well, my mechanic said I might just be chasing a ghost...he rode it and said it felt "fine". Am I just that picky?

I'm going to rebleed the system and see if I can improve the feel at all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts