Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lowsided at the track last weekend, no biggie, just some plastics broken.

As soon as I felt, the assistance guy came to help me, I wanted to go back to the track since the bike was fine, but we couldn't move it, the brakes were locked.... They towed the bike some meters outside of the track and the gravel and the brakes started responding.

After that I did at least 4 more 20 minutes runs and the bike performed perfectly... After some American tape kinda fixing of course.... hahahahaha...

Any clues on why did the brakes got locked??, I'm still wondering...

Thanks!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I'm assuming you're talking about the front brakes.

Your brakes are lever actuated hydraulics and your master cylinder consists of an internal 1-way plunger/valve. It's really a very simple design.

Once you can grasp how the system works you can begin to inject possible scenarios where your brakes would lock.

The only thing that will make the pistons inside your calipers move is pressure applied somewhere in the braking system. It's unlikely that something was able to pinch a line enough to build the kind of pressure needed so the only feasible scenario that I can think of is a rock or dirt likely got stuck behind the small boot that protects the MC plunger and was lodged in there well enough to hold it in when the lever was released.

In this scenario repeated squeezing of the brake lever likely broke free whatever debris was in there and allowed your brakes to work properly.

Another similar scenario is that a small piece of plastic may have broken off and lodged itself inside your MC.

Either way your brake system is in need of an inspection.

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Either way your brake system is in need of an inspection.

That's what I wanted to know...

My bike is in "streetgifhter mode" right now, I mean, all the front is out and it very easy to check all the stuff that is held to the clip-ons and triple tree...

Should I look for something specific?... something broken on my lever..??

Any input will be much appreciated!

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
A visual inspection would be fine.

Just look at all the connection points, take your calipers off and check the pads and rotors, and look under the little protective boot on the MC.

Might be worth the peace of mind to drain the fluid and remove the reservoir and feeder hose just to make sure there's no debris in there (or broken plastic)

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A visual inspection would be fine.

Just look at all the connection points, take your calipers off and check the pads and rotors, and look under the little protective boot on the MC.

Might be worth the peace of mind to drain the fluid and remove the reservoir and feeder hose just to make sure there's no debris in there (or broken plastic)

Will do... I was gonna change the brake fluid reservoir anyways, so I guess I'll just re-do everything!

Thanks a lot!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts