Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last time I changed my tire, when I put the rim back on, the brake pads were too close. I put a screw driver in between the pads to push them further apart. After, it was still a tight fit but was able to get my rotor between them fine again. But now, the rim seems to not spin as freely as it used to (pads squeezing too hard) and I was able to pull the lever almost into the bar. Thought maybe I somehow pushed some air into the system or just messed something up. Drained and re-bled the entire from brake system. Now the front wheel spins like it used to but the lever still pulls in a lot further than it feels like it should. I have my lever set to all the way out but still can almost touch the bar. Also feels like the brakes aren't actually engaging until the lever is pulled in an inch or so. Does it sound like I may have messed something up? Possible hurt a seal in the MC when I pushed the pads apart?

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
there's nothing wrong with pushing your pads apart to get them to slide on. I don't think you did any damage from that. Did you accidentally get some air in it when you bled the brakes?

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
^ If that were the case the lever would be hard to pull, not soft...

Just sounds like you have a bit of air in the lines, what year is your bike?

ABS?

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Did you double check your wheel spacers? Sounds like you may have swapped the spacers and now the tire doesn't align properly. You should not have had to do anything to the pads or fluid level if you only removed the tire. $5 says your spacers are swapped. If they are you'll need to double check your fluid level when you swap them back around.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys. As far as fluid, I thought I did a good job of getting air out but guess I can recheck on that. Its an 08 so as far as I know, it has the same spacer on both sides.non abs though. Come to think of it, I may have put the wheel on backwards. I'll go out and check that once I get out of bed. don't see how that could cause the lever issue though. sounds like air would make the most sense though.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Sometimes the m/c can be a bit of a pain to get bled on those bikes...

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Have you tried to gravity bleed the system? You're a lot less likely to run the reservoir dry from gravity bleeding then if you are using a vacuum bleeder. That's my "go to" procedure for hard to bleed systems like my old Toyota truck.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SOOOO, ends up the reason for the longer travel was that the rim was put on backwards. No idea how that could cause it but turned the rim around to the correct direction and low and behold, lever pull goes right back to normal.
I appreciate everyone's replies.

·
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*
23,598 Posts
SOOOO, ends up the reason for the longer travel was that the rim was put on backwards. No idea how that could cause it but turned the rim around to the correct direction and low and behold, lever pull goes right back to normal.
I appreciate everyone's replies.
Maybe the pads were worn to their specific rotor and the switch caused it to have to extend farther on one side then they would normally? Glad its fine now though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.