Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure which thread to post this in. . . But I'm getting my plastics repainted the '04 Candy Blue. I have ZERO clue about painting and body work so I have a friend of mine who paints cars and choppers and such doing so. I just dropped the plastics off last night and need to get him the paint. The paint is:

Candy Tahitian Blue
Color code (via ronayers color table) PB215C

Does anyone know what brand this is so I can either order it or give him the cash and such and have him do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My bike is ugly nekkid :p

·
Registered
28 Posts
most paints are about the same....especially if your applying them yourself. now if a pro-painter is applying it then it may be good to request ppg but any brand will have that color...its just a matter of the paint shop mixing it.
80% or more of a good paint job is preparation and atmospheric conditions...so if you are doing it in your garage its fine if you are able to line it all w/ plastic and cut a hole in the door for a box fan and a filter. a de-humidifier will be needed in humid climates (not an a/c the air temp is best about 75-85dF any higher and the paint dries too fast to level out and any colder and it starts to have condensation.)
also if you are doing it yourself you need to have a heat source to cure the paint unless you want to wait a month before you ride it. it has to be nice and strong on plastic due to the flexiblity. if its not completly cured then the vibrations and flexing will cause cracks and peeling.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Color-rite carries it. Your friend should already know it's a tri-stage paint. First a silver, then the blue, then the clear. I have been told by a painter that not many companies carry motorcycle paint colors. Although, he did say Honda is one that some do carry. I really don't see why you don't just try to trade or buy some blue ones and then sell yours. I repair and paint farings, but I'm too new to try a candy. Candies are very hard even for the pros. I would like to see detailed pics when you get it done. Good luck

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He's got a paint shop and what not. PPG carries the color more than likely. I went to an automotive paint store today and gave them the numbers and name of the color. They looked up the RR and color code and the name nor numbers match to what they had in their database for "04 600RR Candy Blue." The only thing they came up with is a "dark purple" but listed under the "blue" color family. Thats the only color that could be remotely close out of the color they have listed for 04. There was no other blue or blue esque color listed. And I don't recall a purple bike being built in 04, soooooo. . . hmmm.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Lil update:

I couldn't find a relation to the paint code at the refinishing store and the one from the bike. So I just took an excellent condition blue fairing in and had it color eyed. This is the results after the first coat of base. (btw, its not a tri stage paint)

I left before he got around to putting the clear on. He called me on my way home and the only thing he said "this thing looks titties!" Hopefully more pics to come.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts