Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just p/u my bike from dealer. Here are some pics
http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?p=2123343#post2123343

I'm going to quote the Owner manual on break-in guidelines on page 210 for '08 600rr
"Help assure your motorcycle's future
reliability and performance by paying
extra attention to how you ride during the
first 300 miles (500km).

During this period, avoid full-throttle
starts and rapid acceleration."

Why do some people still tell you, even after thousands of miles later, "your bike is still breaking in." Not to go over this or that rpm till this many miles. After that don't go over this rpm limit. After that you can redline it. Older biked did have something like this in their manual.

About the oil change, my manual say 600 mile oil change there after 8000 miles/12 months.
For street riding why do some people change their oil every 3000 miles. Some people even change their oil in less then 3000 miles for street riding. Someone here on the forum even send his oil for oil analsys after track day and everything was fine. This person said for the results he got he should be able to use the same oil for multiple track days. Again older bikes did have some thing about changing oil more often than 8000 miles.

Many of us do care about our bikes, and want to take care of it as best as we can. For under normal driving conditions replacing your oil after a few thousend miles sounds just waste to me. I'm not here to start an argument. It is your own call to service your bike as often as you would like to.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I'm going to quote the Owner manual on break-in guidelines on page 210 for '08 600rr

For under normal driving conditions replacing your oil after a few thousend miles sounds just waste to me. I'm not here to start an argument. It is your own call to service your bike as often as you would like to.
So then........ what is the point of this thread? This sounds like a response to a question rather than a statement to start a thread. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
344 Posts
The one thing you want to avoid is staying at a constant engine speed for a duration of time, basically avoid highway riding and places where you'll stay in the same gear and RPM for an extended period of time. You want to put load on the pistons both under acceleration and deceleration (engine braking) to set the rings properly. I still went WOT until about 7k in the taller gears to achieve this proper ring-seating technique and used my engine to brake when applicable. I've heard of people wringing it hard to redline from the get-go, but i didn't feel comfortable with this.

I also changed my oil at 24 miles and used a powerful magnet to capture any metal flakes...which there were (albeit small) and installed a strong magnetic oil drain plug. The initial (factory) oil also appeared much more opaque than usual oil, which is why i think it's meant to be there until the 600-mile mark. I'll post up a thread in the oil forum after i change the oil this week for the 600-mile change with pictures from both changes.

there are multiple opinions on how to break in your new bike. i will vouch and say that the oil that comes with the bike does appear to be different and may contain special detergents or other oils for break-in. i'm in the tail-end of breaking in my bike (i'm now around 600 miles). The break-in will 'supposedly' continue until the 1500 or 2000 mile mark, but the most critical miles are the first 20 and the first 300 for obvious reasons.

again, this is what i'm doing after reading several articles and opinions on engine break-in. you can form your own opinion on what to do based on a lot of what's available online.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The crap that's in that owners manual is pure BS. Talk to ANY engine builder and they'll tell you the same. The whole point of break in is to seal the rings as best as possible. If you've been riding the bike around already then you've missed one of the most crucial parts. You should have gone through some heat cycles before the bike was ever ridden. Then you need to take it out on a back road and rip it up good! Vary the RPMs up and down as said. The manual way is only to keep as many warranty claims off the manufacturer's head as possible.

Change your oil A LOT in that first 2000 miles. Your gears and other internal components are doing a good bit of grinding in those early miles, so there's lots of metal flakes spinning around. That's BAD stuff for bearings. I changed my oil at 125, 250, 600 (new filter), 1000 and then 2000 (new filter) and changed to synthetic.

As for changing your engine oil often, if you just ride around at 5k rpm every day then no worry. However, if you're like 90% of the rest of us sport bike owners, you like to open it up every now and then. That will create a lot more "blow by". Gas and other contaminants make it past the rings and into your crank case. Those contaminants turn into acid and do nasty things to your bearings and seals. IMO, change your oil every 2k miles with a new filter and use synthetic. If you do trackdays...after every trackday.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts