Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the general consensus on proper break-in procedures? I have heard various things like "keep it under 6k RPMs" or "don't go faster than such-and-such speed." What's everyone's take on how to properly break in the 600RR (or any bike for that matter). Also, at what mile does everyone consider the end of the break-in period?

(i'm bored at work and just thinking of questions that i never found answers to)

·
Registered
647 Posts
This is an old topic of discussion. Go through the first tank being easy on it and then for the rest just get on and off the rpms as much as you can. This is what has been voiced on the board. I was kind of easy for the 1st 400 and I dont know if it was good or bad for the way I did it. I havnt rode any one elses that did their break in the hammer down way. Should get some dyon tests to see what the best way actually is between the mfg suggested way and the "other" way.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Although I have always broken in all of my cars and bikes with the hammer down way (and to no ill effects). I have been gentle to this one. It has seen 8k 3 times in the first few 100 miles. I was always taught break it in like you will ride it. Just haven't had the place or the weather to open this one up so I am being gentle.

·
Registered
919 Posts
between the mfg suggested way and the "other" way
Only problem is that on our bike the Manufactures way doesnt say much. No guidelines for min or max RPM and or redlining. Just says vary rpms and dont stay at a steady rpm for any lenth of time. As Bull said lotof discusion on this so do a seach and then be ready to read allot and of course be confused as well. I my self had myu bike broken-in on a dyno, had 60 miles on the clock and when it was done had 170. Bike rips and makes more HP now then when first dyned.

·
Ducati Champion Del Mondo
7,847 Posts
I'm a new rider so I could not break the bike in the way I wanted too...

hehehe Soooooooo, I had my friend beat the piss out of it a little. Granted, he did not kill it but he put it up there a few times. Had him drive it for the first 20 or so miles. Then I got on it the day after and cruise around a parking lot on it. Since, I have ridden it in that parking lot again (same deal) and then hit a long strait driving it a little more like it should be rode. I’d say don't beat it but in the same token don't baby it either.

Jason

·
Registered
287 Posts
yeah, i prefer the rough break in method... i would say go find a motorcycle racing forum or ask some racers....the majority of the ones i know have done the rough break in method...ie on the dyno or taking the bike straight to the track with 0 miles.

Mototuneusa.com

·
Registered
583 Posts
While it's obvious, I'll go ahead and say it: Make sure to warm her up nice and good before riding anywhere. When I was breaking it in I'd let her warm up at idle until the gauge registered a little over 100 degrees, then I'd take it easy through the neighborhood, and by the time I get on the highway I'm at 180 (operating temp). Now that I have a few K on the clock, I usually just let it warm up until I see a temp, then take it easy until 180.

My dealer said to not take it above 9K or so until the first service. The manual says to avoid WOT acceleration, but that is about it. The Mototune page (http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm) says the opposite, sort of. I combined them all: let the engine warm up fully, didn't go over 9000 RPMs or so, and hard acceleration followed by hard engine braking. I also always varied the revs on the highway.

When you think about it, the Mototune page makes a lot of sense. My friend and I built a 350 for his Camaro when we were in high school, and slapped a bigass cam and 750cfm carb in there. It ran like ****, frankly, and continued to, because it was running pig rich and the rings never sealed. The excess gas washes the oil off the cylinder walls, and if the rings seat they may not seal all the way around.

Regardless, not going over 9K probably makes sense during the breakin, just because alll the power is up there :twisted: Good idea to become comfortable on the thing first.

·
WCR Racer
1,550 Posts
I was told by the dealer to keep it under 5500 for the first 500 mi than get it checked. Keeps the casting shavings from being picked up into the engine. It’s hard, but the engine will thank you when everything has set. Also a good heating of the engine block before you beat the bike is good to keep the engine parts seated right. This is what I have done for all race bikes and quads. Never lost one yet.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I followed the MOTOUSA model, loaded into my truck to take it home so I could be in control of every RMP for all of the first miles. I followed his instructions to the T.
Warmed it up, and had her up to 15,000 RMP @115mph in 3rd at least 3 times buy 20 miles. Lots of hard accel, and engine braking from high RMP's. Changed the oil @ 19 miles, 200 miles, then @ about 600 miles. Runs great, no smoke, no burt oil, we'll see what she puts up when I get her on a dyno

·
Registered
17 Posts
well here is my 2cents. just let her rip man. hold it open and go for it. i have broken in every single one of my bikes like this and have never had a problem with any of them. i broke in my gixxer like that, my rc51, my r6 and now my beloved RR. i have to say it runs great. it feels good. so just talking out of experience here but i have never had any problem when i just let it rip. like slodsm said break it in like you will ride it. well hope its been helpful :shock:

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, seems like everyone has varying opinions on how to break in their bikes. I broke mine in by keeping it under 9k RPM (except a few instances of going up to 12 or so when I just had to take advantage of a straight-away ;-) ), varying the RPMs & speeds on the freeway, and making sure I properly warmed up the engine and tires. I just got the 600 mile service this weekend and the bike seems to run pretty nicely.

I like the idea of opening it up a few times in the first few miles. However, I've always been told to keep the RPM's low until a certain point after which I could bring it up to redline.

Tyrebuster, I like how you changed the oil several times but I think that's probably too much for most people.

Bob Barker, thanks for the link. It was a good read and made alot of sense.

Overall, thanks for everyone's posts. Thanks for the good tips and hopefully, I wasn't the only one that benefited from this thread.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Many debates on this subject but PLEASE DO NOT BABY IT during break in!!!!! Don't run the piss out of it but don't dog it. Break in happens in first 20 miles..........don't be scared to give it some throttle and seat the engine internals. That's my advice on break in. Take it or leave it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts