Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
True that to break in leathers (and get the fit right for you): soak them in water? How to make sure they don't shrink too much etc,..

·
Registered
780 Posts
Don't know too much about leather gear, however, when leather (such as wallets) gets wet and dries, the oils in the leather leach out and dies very stiff and typically shrinks. The best way to clean leather is to use a quality leather cleanser and conditioner.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RRpilot said:
What brand of leathers?
Joe Rocket 2-piece. Not the best, but all I could afford at the time.

I guy I know that has some 1-piece Yamaha leathers told me that he soaks his in water to make them fit just right...

·
Registered
566 Posts
Put em on, then sit down and watch some racing. Now hang off the chair each lap as they go thru the corners. You'll soon have them broken in. You might even scrape a slider on the carpet through that tight hairpin...

My friend broke his in by putting them on and hoovering his entire house wearing them. But you be the judge of that method :???:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
westhondapons600rr said:
My friend broke his in by putting them on and hoovering his entire house wearing them. But you be the judge of that method :???:
Umm.. I won't be letting my wife see this thread. :shock:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
seanic said:
soak em in water...man whoever told you that probably told you you had to change blinker fluid every 50 miles.

Just wear them...
I swear the guy knows about leathers. He and his dad race drag bikes. I think I'm gonna try a hybrid approach and soak them in beer... lol

·
Ducati Champion Del Mondo
7,847 Posts
What happens if you would get stuck in a rain storm, would your jacket shrink?

Jason

·
Registered
74 Posts
westhondapons600rr said:
Put em on, then sit down and watch some racing. Now hang off the chair each lap as they go thru the corners. You'll soon have them broken in. You might even scrape a slider on the carpet through that tight hairpin...

Nice lol

·
Registered
919 Posts
1 just wear them.
2 Cal Joe Rocket to see what they recommend.

I have a set of Spidi's and they sell a leather care kit for like 10-15 bux.

·
Registered
136 Posts
One tip is to never hang them up. I crumple mine into a ball and jam them into the corner of a closet. Every day take them out and re crumple. In a few months they will be like buttah.

·
Registered
777 Posts
GregCat said:
One tip is to never hang them up. I crumple mine into a ball and jam them into the corner of a closet. Every day take them out and re crumple. In a few months they will be like buttah.
:scratch:

·
Registered
919 Posts
Yeah so then they will smell like rotting buttah. This is oh my I cant believe someone actually said it advice. Check out any track day or race event and you will see everyone hangs up there leathers. You need to so they aireate. Just remember riding leathers are treated. The leather is made just for riding leathers not like nice fancy or casual leather jacket. The leather is tanned differently and it is know to be used for riding with hot sweaty bodies. I have ridding a whole track day in the rain and just hung them up in a heated RV and they where dry and ready to go the nextr day. Dont put so much thought into it, just wear em and ride.

·
Registered
383 Posts
just wear them is also my opinion. just like leather gloves, The first time you put them on they don't feel all that good. after a couple hours of sweaty palms they feel much better. same goes for the leathers!

·
Registered
286 Posts
when i first bought my leathers they were crotch tight,but i just put them on and sat around watching t.v/internet for about 4 hours, my roommate thought i was living out my fantasy of being a power ranger, but it got the leathers broken in nicely.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do not get your leathers anywhere near water. It will dry the leather out and cause that expensive cow hide to crack and split. If you need to "break your suit in"--put it on and sit on your bike like you are riding it. The suit will streach only where there is a pressure point--that is what you want. If the suit is too loose-you can get "leather bite". This is where the loose leather rolls your skin like an egg roll. This hurts more then you can imagine.
Sugoi8

1 - 20 of 20 Posts