Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first new bike ('03 RR) and am interested to know if any of you with experience on the 600RR have some advice on breaking it in, etc?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Blade-Runner said:
daleCarlsbad said:
This is a somewhat controversial subject as there are as many “how-to”s as there are engine builders.

I went with the first 20 mile break-in period as described by this article and after 2000k, have had no problems.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
:thumbup: :thumbup:

I will be breaking my 04 in during a track-day. :D
Exactly...

·
Registered
919 Posts
good show, that is the way to do it I had mine broke in on a dyno, and its a screamer. No leaks no smoke, just lot of good power.

C

·
0 Posts
I broke it in the old fashion way... under 10,000 rpm for 500 miles... no problems... Lots O power...

·
Registered
58 Posts
i know nothing about bikes.. i'm a total newb.. everyone here will recommend the way they did or a hard break in.. just read up do your research and break it in the way you feel comfortable with.. enjoy your new toy.. they are really beautiful machines.. and ride safe :beer:

·
Monkey works will work for you :)
1,679 Posts
I did a mixed breed between what Honda recommends and what the article says. I did my first oil change at 75 miles (surprised me how much crap was in it and this is why I DEFINITELY recommend an early oil and filter change). I was on and off the gas pretty hard for the first 300 but kept it below 10,000 then laid into it afterward. then another oil change at 600. Tons of power and lots of compression :bounce:

Rowski

Just read up on it and make your decision based on what you will be happy with, Hondas are built really well and will run well regardless. Just my $.02

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm fortunate to have a 600RR in the garage with 0 miles on it.I'm just waiting for the sand to get swept up so i can ride it but I'm really going to have to plan a good route and go at the right time of day if I want to break it in the way this guys wants me too. I think if would be hard screaming a brand new bike!

·
Registered
919 Posts
These are super sport bike that have been designed from GP technology and are high performance machines. This not your old station wagon. I have seen the engine apart on several bike now and you can acutually see the difference in the cylinders. The slowly broke-in motor had a ton of carbon build up where as the high rpm dynoed brake-in motor had very little carbon and looked rather clean. Part of the problem on low rpm break-in's is that the engine runs very rich which can cause carbon build up. Once the carbon is attached to cylinder walls, valves, valve seats, etc. it is very hard to get the carbon removed except for opening the engine. Just my personal eye witnes oppion.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts