Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was riding today on some back roads breaking in my new tires, I began to envision my last time on the track...

I started to think about the mindset one is in when doing somewhat spirited riding, but in general, every time you get on the bike.

Staying calm, heart racing, adrenaline dumping, focused...slow the mind down...processing everything your body is doing to react to the outside world and keeping your line.

I remembered that when at the track, my breathing was controlled, yet rapid at times. Most often heavy and slow. However, for instance, I distinctly remember that right before I come into a turn, I take a deep breath, and exhale slowly throughout the remainder of the turn...just like your throttle roll.

It never dawned on me as to how my breathing impacts my trail braking, and just how aggressive I can get; I tend to be fairly good at stopping in a short distance from speed rather quickly.

So...maybe some of you have some things you would like to add as well. When you think about it, your breathing dictates every aspect of how controlled, direct but decisive your movements become...

Just thought I would post this since it's top of mind for me right now...

·
Registered
718 Posts
I don't notice. For me everything gets zoned out, I can have music playing in my ears and I don't hear it. All I see is the corner, my braking point, and who's in front of me, my back wheel doing whatever it wants as I'm hard on the brakes letting off enough in time for me to hit my lines apex.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Breathing is really important for me

Maybe it's because I grew up as a competitive swimmer where breathing is right there at the top of the list of things to get right but I can relate to the OP. I ride pretty sedately on the street so I don't think about breathing normally. But at the track I think I use breathing to actually set my mental state. Long, deep, steady breaths timed with what I'm doing helps me get into a rhythm. Keeping the mind from racing and the body from being abrupt is key to my riding and it allows me to conserve energy while still carrying my pace. Living in Texas where trackdays often mean riding in temps over 100 degrees means that pacing your body is critical. It's not uncommon to have a nearly empty track by the end of the day because everyone is worn out. But I'm out there with my 50+ year old body getting in the best laps of the day with all of that clear track.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Pro tip for hot weather climes with lower humidity; you lose a lot of moisture through your lips, especially when you're breathing through your mouth. I've found chapstick (preferably with SPF protection) to be very helpful in preventing me from getting cotton mouth 10 minutes into a session.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Maybe it's because I grew up as a competitive swimmer where breathing is right there at the top of the list of things to get right but I can relate to the OP. I ride pretty sedately on the street so I don't think about breathing normally. But at the track I think I use breathing to actually set my mental state. Long, deep, steady breaths timed with what I'm doing helps me get into a rhythm. Keeping the mind from racing and the body from being abrupt is key to my riding and it allows me to conserve energy while still carrying my pace. Living in Texas where trackdays often mean riding in temps over 100 degrees means that pacing your body is critical. It's not uncommon to have a nearly empty track by the end of the day because everyone is worn out. But I'm out there with my 50+ year old body getting in the best laps of the day with all of that clear track.

You ride on ECR? Curious as to how the pavement is there, going to be there on the 30th

·
Registered
793 Posts
You ride on ECR? Curious as to how the pavement is there, going to be there on the 30th
I haven't been out there in a while but the reports I've heard are that it isn't too good. Turn 6 is apparently a mess but supposedly there are major repairs happening.

It's the closest track to me so I'm hoping they get the place back in action soon.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I haven't been to ECR in almost 2 years and it was pretty much junk then. It's only gotten worse from what I hear. Will have to wait and see how the repairs turn out and hold up.

As for breathing, never really paid attention other than the occasional notice of being more out of breath than I should be. But I usually tossed that up more to the 100+ temps than anything else.

·
Registered
718 Posts
They've been saying they're going to be doing repairs forever now -_- guess I'll have to find out if its decent come the 30th

·
Registered
164 Posts
If I'm on the track or doing some carving, I'll get in a steady rhythm and try to calm myself during the session. It helps me to stay more relaxed and focused and also getting my timing down right such as my brake points, turn points, throttle control, and etc. If I'm all fidgety during a session I always tend to do unnecessary amount of movement on the bike and anticipate my brake points, turn points, and etc. By the end of a session I always have that "Woohoo!!" type of feeling if I did a good run lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts