Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys -

I can get an amazing deal on a new 49 State Bike.
Just wanted to find out what needs to be done to register the bike in CA. Emissions/Etc?? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance...
Brian

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I do not think you can do it. only way to register a 49 state bike is if the 49's are built to same standards (epa, etc) that the CA bikes are. CA has laws against registering it if it doesnt meet CA epa stuff. Bike has to be used with 7500 miles or more on it (or can be 5 yrs old).

Check the dmv.ca.gov website for detailed info but I think you need to look for another bike locally.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I am not sure about bikes but I know if you buy a car in another state and then bring it into California within 3 months of purchasing it you have to pay them the difference in sales tax between where you bought it and california.
Unfortunately if the sales tax is more where you bought it you don't get paid the difference :???:

·
Registered
638 Posts
ibvosko,

If you can register the bike under someone else's name (with an out of state address) in the other state, you can ride it in CA. And then re-register it in Ca after it has done 7500 miles.

giterdonerr,

If you have proof that you moved from out of state, the DMV will allow you to register your bike. I would advise that you delay this as long as possible.

There is no benefit to either of you to have your bike registered in CA other than having to pay the high title and reistration fees.

·
Moto GP Racer
3,753 Posts
If you keep it registered in your HOME state you should have no problems. My 49 state bike is registered in FL so I just keep the Florida registration and they cant do anything.

However, if you are going to register it over here I believe you have to pass the emissions test which will be impossible without the oxygen sensors and such.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
There is no emissions test in Cali yet. No smog test for bike yet! but there might be in the future, it's on the books and the 7,500 mile thing is very strict.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm moving back to santa barbara, Ca from pennsylvania in a few weeks and I found out that since I'm moving from out of state the 7500 mile law does not apply (only apply's to residents). When I went to school in Santa Barbara I just kept my pennsylvania plate and registration since I knew I would be home in the summer to get my bike inspected. Now I'm moving back there but I'm still going to keep my pennsylvania plate and registration until my bike needs inspected next july.

When the time comes to get my bike inspected, will I have to change my I.D. from pennsylvania to the state of california? Will the class M automatically transfer over to the new license without taking the test again?

·
Registered
405 Posts
dunno about cali, but in illinois any out of state class m is treated the same as a class d. u just have to take an eye test and pass a simple written test.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Hey, question...do you have to register a track-only bike?
i think you only have to register vehicles if you will be driving/riding it on public roads. so if you don't register your track bike, you can't ride it to the track on public roads.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Meddiepie954rr said:
Hey, question...do you have to register a track-only bike?
Kinda. Whether it's track-only or not, in CA you still need some sort of documentation if you plan on transporting the bike. There are a couple ways of doing this. You could register it as PNO (Planned Non Operation), which is what lots of people do. However, what many people don't realize is that you could also satisfy the documentation requirement by obtaining a Motorcycle Transportation Permit. Supposedly this is pretty obscure and many DMV employees won't even know what it is.

Either way, you are legally required to have some sort of documentation/registration if you plan on transporting the bike.

Practically speaking, though, I don't think any LEO really cares, as long as it's not ridden on public roads.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Yes. I do know that this post is old. But things are still unclear and I'm hoping someone will post the updated information on this.

Base on Mota, he suggest to swap the Emission Sticker from a 49-State bike with the California Bike. This will raise a flag if I try to register a bike that has say 3000 miles on it. DMV would want to know why a California bike that has not been registered and has 3000 miles on it. Hopefully All Mota can answer this one. :book1:

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
I don't think All Mota will be answering **** since his last activity was over a year ago, but to answer your question, it's not going to work. If the bike was originally titled in another state, they are going to know it is a 49 state bike. They don't even need to look at any emissions sticker. What exactly are you trying to do?

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Pretty simple, buying a bike from out of state - cheaper.
If you are a California resident, you won't be able to do it unless the bike has 7500 miles or more. The thing some people will do is buy the bike and get a cluster that has 7500 miles on it and use that to register the bike.

The only ways to legally bring a bike from out of state and register it here with less than 7500 miles are to:

a.) move here from another state. California is not rediculous enough to require everyone who moves here to buy new vehicles.

b.) be active duty military. Active duty military personel are allowed to bring vehicles from their home state and register them in California.

c.) Go somewhere and get your bike/car stolen or wrecked. California law allows you to replace a vehicle that is stolen or damaged while you are out of the state for business or vacation. So, I guess you could go to Vegas and wreck your bike then buy a new one there. You could also just leave it somewhere and it will probably get jacked.

·
Registered
504 Posts
My boss just bought a 2006 CBR 1000RR candy blue with yellow from a guy in Seattle, WA. The bike had only 2000 something miles on it. It can be done. I asked how he did it, he told me that specific rule applies only to new cars or trucks not motorcycles. As long as the bike is considered used it really doesnt matter how many miles it has. I have personally seen the bike and the milage so I know he aint lying to me. You can believe me if you want or can trying calling the DMV and specifically ask about that rule if it includes motorcycles. Good luck!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts