Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 CBR. I recently did the PAIR block off mod while changing the air filter and spark plugs.

When I was taking off the farthest left bolt I snapped the head off it. I was able to put the block off plate on and used lots of high temp liquid gasket. The plate is secured only with one bolt. With the liquid gasket will this be safe? it seems pretty flush. And if this did leak at all would it be a problem?

I am not experienced with removing broken bolts at all but my understanding is my only options would be to have someone weld a nut on it or use a tap and die kit? But there is not enough room to fit a drill in there. IS the cylinder head cover easy to remove so maybe i could take that off and have more clearance to get the broken bolt out?

Suggestions and comments welcomed. Help me figure this out, thanks.

(picture for reference, stolen from PAIR mod thread)

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
The valve cover is relatively easy to remove. Once you get that off, you can drill the center if the bolt and back it right out. Easier said than done, Im sure, but it can be done.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Take the valve cover off, and see if there is enough of the bolt sticking out to grab it with vice grips. Also you can soak with a little penetrating oil to make it a little easier. If that doesnt work, welding a nut onto the bolt is good idea, its pretty much the first thing I do now to remove broken bolts. Only takes a second, and can pretty much get any broken bolt out.

·
Registered
901 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
I have an 08 CBR. I recently did the PAIR block off mod while changing the air filter and spark plugs.

When I was taking off the farthest left bolt I snapped the head off it. I was able to put the block off plate on and used lots of high temp liquid gasket. The plate is secured only with one bolt. With the liquid gasket will this be safe? it seems pretty flush. And if this did leak at all would it be a problem?

I am not experienced with removing broken bolts at all but my understanding is my only options would be to have someone weld a nut on it or use a tap and die kit? But there is not enough room to fit a drill in there. IS the cylinder head cover easy to remove so maybe i could take that off and have more clearance to get the broken bolt out?

Suggestions and comments welcomed. Help me figure this out, thanks.

(picture for reference, stolen from PAIR mod thread)

On the real though. They sell "Bolt Extractor Kits" fairly cheap maybe $15.00 at home depot etc... You simply drill out a little of the center of the bolt and then the extractor threads into the middle of the bold until it catches (sharp edges). then you simply turn the bolt out like you would with a screw driver.

They also make these Bolt Extractors in Drill Bit Form so you can use it with a Drill if you need to.. Might be and an option for you. I have a few Extrator kits as a have snapped plenty bolts on my bike unfortunatly lol...

Bolt Extractor Kit:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts