Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 600rr -

Alright so here's my dilemma:

This is my first off season with my bike so I'm taking the winter to do all of the "necessary" maintenance to make sure everything has been done and is in good shape for the spring (New air filter, clean / inspect /tension chain, fuel filter, spark plugs, etc.)

Tonight, I was going to move the radiator out of the way in order to access the spark plugs. I performed all of the necessary steps per my Clymer manual, but noticed that it was hung up on something. Upon further investigation, it appears as though there is a broken off bolt in the left side (as you sit on the bike) upper mount on the top of the radiator. The strange thing is that the Clymer manual only stated that there was ONE bolt on the RIGHT side on the top of the radiator, which there was, but there is also something most definitely in the left side as well, where there is an identical mounting point... Even if you check online for oem parts diagrams, they only illustrate ONE bolt on the RIGHT side, not on the left.

So. If it is a broken bolt, suggestions on how to remove said bolt? I've removed lower, side, and front fairings along with the side intake tubes, so the area of concern is very accessible. Thoughts?

If it is not a broken bolt, what the sh*t is it?

I've attached some pictures to help in visualizing...

Thanks much for your help.

Attachments

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,907 Posts
That is just a pin that holds the rad. Take the bolt out of the other side then slide the rad off the pin.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is just a pin that holds the rad. Take the bolt out of the other side then slide the rad off the pin.
Yup, I just put the right side bolt back on to hold it in place which I worked on getting the left side out.

Sounds like a stupid question, but can you explain how to slide the radiator off the pin? The pin can't come out?

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,907 Posts
Take the bolt off one side, slide the rad down then push it towards the other side of the bike. The grommet only slides over the post in your pics. Its not secured there

·
BOTM Winner 02/15
237 Posts
This is what I did while replacing my damaged radiator:

1: Go stand on the right side of the bike and remove the lower bolt that connects the radiator to the headers and push the lower side a bit to the front when its loose.

2: remove the top bolt on the right side of the radiator and push the radiator a bit to the front of the bike so that the radiator mounting hole isn't in alignment with the mounting point on the motorcycle.

3: push the radiator to the left side of the motorcycle so that the radiator slides off the left mounting pin and you're done!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well thanks for the info and the tips - I was successful in removing the radiator and replaced 2 of the 4 spark plugs... My work night got off to a late start because I quickly realized that I had to run to Craftsman to get some extensions / a universal joint to even make the job doable in the first place.

However, I again appreciate the help.. Thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts