Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was working on the bike and noticed that lower left tank bolt had broken off. Its 6x40 bolt that holds the tank in place near the seat. I tried traditional methods of drilling a smaller hole inside the piece of the bolt that is stuck, but it won't come out. With other 3 bolts in place the tank not going anywhere, but I am worried if its safe to ride like that and also what can I do to get it out?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would drill it out, then tap it and put another bolt back in.
I tried... drilled a small hole in the center of the bolt. Tried to screw in the bolt extractor, but that thing broke off half way in, so now I am back to square one. I am afraid to drill with the larger drill bit and hit the wall, mess up the tread and end up with even bigger problem.

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
Don't worry about the thread, see if you can get the extractor out with a pair of pliers or something then drill the hole out larger and helicoil it. Don't bother trying to drill with the extractor still in there though cause there is almost no way that will work.

And you are perfectly safe to ride on it.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
oh ****, you broke the extractor?

lol, your fawked ... good luck with that.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
yea... that extractor is super strong... I could not get it out, so I drill around it... sort of, but its going super slow.
yea, that hardened steel will eat drill bits for breakfast

1 - 9 of 9 Posts