Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 2 weeks ago some friends and I took a ride up around Jordan lake and on the way home I turned off from the group on to my road and I got a little throttle happy coming down the hill to my house (there is a smaller hill in the middle of the big hill on my road and I like to hit that small hill about 3rd gear and ride a wheelie over it) well I did that and when I went to 4th the chain snapped. I coasted in to my driveway, put the bike in the shed and when I walked out my neighbor saw the chain in the road and brought it to me. Well I was already late for a family function so I threw the chain in the shed locked up and left. I finally got around to pulling the front sprocket cover off today to see if it broke anything and it did, curled the case saver up, broke one of the mounting ears off the plastic cover, and took a small piece off the case (nothing major). Riding season is about over for me but I do want to get this fixed soon. I did a little searching but didnt spend a lot of time on it, is there any company that makes like a metal one piece case saver/sprocket cover? The factory one did its job but I still lost some of my case. Also going to take this time to get a new chain and sprockets. Good time to upgrade the chain or just go back factory? Recommendations on sprockets?

Lots of newb questions but my last sport bike was a 07 R1 Raven and it was brand new when I got it and still on a factory warranty so I never personally did any work to it. So I don't really know any trusted places to buy parts from or what brands are best. Would love to support the site so any vendors care to sell me some stuff? :ciao:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Did you have a chain guard on your bike when it broke? I bought my bike used and it doesn't have one. I've always been paranoid that the chain will rip me up if it ever breaks.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
also one of my big fears, seen pics of the damage that can happen, an it aint pretty. sounds like you were lucky. i get a lot of stuf off ebay mate, got a new gold D.I.D chain an sprockets set myself a few months go cheaper than aywhere else. just read the comments on the seller before buying :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am assuming its a factory case saver behind the plastic sprocket cover. Its just a "U" shaped piece of metal that is formed to the shape and bolts holes of the cover. It crunched that thing though. Kinda want something a little stronger if for some reason I break another chain. I have destroyed many dirtbike cases before. Those case savers are not worth a crap, any of them. Even if the case saver doesnt break on a dirtbike it just rips the bolts out of the aluminum then your still screwed. I am pretty rough/wild on a dirtbike though.

I will check out some of the ebay stuff, rather buy from a vendor though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts