Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was trying to remove the brake pad pins from the front brake caliper, one pin came off, while trying the next one, the hex key I was using sheared off leaving half inside the brake pin bolt. Tried drilling it out with HSS drill bits, heated with flames and tried drilling....nothing seems to work, the drill is not even making a dent in the bit stuck inside the bolt..any ideas what I can do to get this sorted :banghead:

Attachments

·
Registered
254 Posts
A) It's weird that a hex key sheared. Was it all FUBAR or something? Either way I'd reckon that your bolt is STUCK in there something awful. I'd recommend some P'Blaster, it oughta work even on this even if the female threads are aluminum.
b) Before you try anything drastic, I'd say bang on the hex wrench with a hammer and centerpunch, or something with an awl-like sharpened tip. Bang it in the opposite direction as you were turning it with the wrench, and it might un-wedge it so it'll fall out naturally with a tap or a strong magnet.
C) Forget a drill bit here, you need something abrasive to cut through that kind of metal. I've had lots of luck with a dremel cut-off wheel to cut a slot that you can use a big-ol flathead screwdriver on, however once you try this it's kind of all or nothing.
D) If the bolt IS hella stuck, a new caliper's easy enough pickins around here in the partout threads.

Good luck!:ciao:

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
A) It's weird that a hex key sheared. Was it all FUBAR or something? Either way I'd reckon that your bolt is STUCK in there something awful. I'd recommend some P'Blaster, it oughta work even on this even if the female threads are aluminum.
b) Before you try anything drastic, I'd say bang on the hex wrench with a hammer and centerpunch, or something with an awl-like sharpened tip. Bang it in the opposite direction as you were turning it with the wrench, and it might un-wedge it so it'll fall out naturally with a tap or a strong magnet.
C) Forget a drill bit here, you need something abrasive to cut through that kind of metal. I've had lots of luck with a dremel cut-off wheel to cut a slot that you can use a big-ol flathead screwdriver on, however once you try this it's kind of all or nothing.
D) If the bolt IS hella stuck, a new caliper's easy enough pickins around here in the partout threads.

Good luck!:ciao:
+1

You can also cut the pads out and then use a pair of vice grips to take the pin out, then replace the pin.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks z537z - that was a very helpful reply, didn't have the right tools - no center punch, no pblaster(not available here in UK), no dremel.......took it to the local workshop, helpful guys welded a nut onto the brake pad pin, took it out along with the hex key inside it, replaced with a new pin,all for £10 (about $18 I think) - job done......for the future I've now bought a good quality hex key set, so hopefully will not be a problem anymore I guess....fingers crossed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts