Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there guys, kinda new but was helping a buddy today & he went to turn the key on & evidently the key was weak & it broke off in the lock cylinder, the prob is its too far down to get at w/ a pick or anything, so basically he had to turn it off w/ a screwdriver, his other prob is thats his only key to the bike, so he can't get the seat off nor get the gas cap off if need be. We called a locksmith for curiosity & all of them want close to $200 to cut new keys & try to get the old one out (evidently the bike lock cylinders can't be opened?? thats what they claim anyhow) so i told him to just buy a new lock set off a forum or ebay & that it'd likely be cheaper. Question is are they basically plug & play meaning pull the old one out & put in the new lock sets?? sorry if it sounds stupid but i've never encountered this before lol
Thanks in advance

·
Whoring Is What I Do
5,879 Posts
Hmm, give your stealership your vin number, they should be able to order you a new key..that'll help with the gas tank and rear set lock..but as for your ignition, it should unplug and unbolt and come off...play and toy with it.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, give your stealership your vin number, they should be able to order you a new key..that'll help with the gas tank and rear set lock..but as for your ignition, it should unplug and unbolt and come off...play and toy with it.
yea i told him to go get at least a key made from the stealer & take his registration with him, he just doesn't want to leave the bike w/ the ignition like that so by chance someone decided to give it a whirl lol, i tried pretty hard to get the key out w/ a pick & some tiny tools but its a bitch to get out & i honestly don't think i dented it at all

·
Premium Member
14,336 Posts
Check ebay for a complete set. You should be able to find the ignition, gas cap and seat for under $200. Find the same year or same style 03-04, 05-06, 07-08, to match his year. T

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check ebay for a complete set. You should be able to find the ignition, gas cap and seat for under $200. Find the same year or same style 03-04, 05-06, 07-08, to match his year. T
ok sweet i'll tell him, nothing special that has to be done w/ the ecu or anything like that is there?? I know on some of the bikes, like my 636 for instance it has the same harness that the euro bikes do & if you don't have a diode in they're immobilizer system plug that the bike is dead lol, thanks in advance & that should make my buddy happy knowing this

·
Premium Member
14,336 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,336 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,336 Posts
Not a problem. Put some graphite in the ignition and make sure everything smooth when putting the key in and turning before assembly. Looks in great shape though. T

1 - 11 of 11 Posts