Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'll save the background and just give the important stuff. Have a 2005cbr rr garage/mid life crisis bike, baby only has 8,000mi. Hit a car bumper (right where older bumpers bend around towards the front wheel) doing about 25 mph. Residential area, some poh-dunk tweaker b*tch pulls out of her driveway head-on into my lane attempting to pull out, crossing my lane and turn left. I either impacted with the tire and deflected damage to the right or just impacted with the right side of my bike just past the tire and near the front right brake plate/fairings. The radiator has a right side dent, fairings on right - heavy damage, popped all bolts out etc. Bike went down hard both sides. There was very little time as she was looking into the lane she was gunning for and not my lane that she stupidly obstructed.

Anyhow, fairings damaged. I'd like OEM replacements but might only have $ for aftermarket so suggestions on quality brands AND/OR cheapest OEM provider are helpful. The radiator needs replacement so recommended brands there are also great. My big concern is just it being a direct and perpendicular impact. There was no real damage to her old tank of a beater, but I'm worried about bent forks or cracked frame...obvious safety issues. There was a little leakage from the dented radiator but it doesn't seem like the radiator impacted enough to harm the engine. The bike starts fine but I am afraid to run it through the gears, haven't cruised it since the impact. The bike starts because the tilt sensor has been bypassed.

I know fairings are expensive. No insurance is involved. My goal is to keep the bike and eat the fairing costs. I am new to the area I live in and have no mechanic friends. The only advice I've been given from the few riders I know is stay away from the dealership. I was planning on hitting up the local dealership to drop $800 or whatever on the 8,000mi tune up. Since it is such low miles and literally sat covered in a garage since its first month off the store floor I'm really hoping its just cosmetics. What other problems do I need to worry about. I'm guessing the 8,000mi tune up would include fluid flushing and replacement. The bike was still running while on the ground for about 10 seconds. I flew pretty far away from it, yes I'm ok. What would you guys do if you were me with this set or perimeters? I am emotionally invested in this bike, insurance is not involved and money is out of my pocket, broke poh-dunk neighbors have no money, blah blah, not asking questions about any of that stuff anyhow...JUST mechanical/cosmetic issues with the bike.

I am not engine (car or bike) savvy. I'm just heartbroken and want my pony mended and looking pretty cruising the streets again.

I can take more photos if helpful. Thank you for reading and any input.

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
God I love those 05's. Sorry about your loss, man. Just start ordering a few parts here and there and you'll have her ship shape in no time. I've heard decent reviews about auctmart fairings. Keep us updated on your progress.

·
Registered
117 Posts
This looks fairly minor. I've fixed five RRs in the past couple years that were much worse.

eBay is your friend. These bikes are very popular and all the parts are available cheaply from salvage places. Radiator will be less than $100. It's three hoses and a couple bolts to take off. This will require new coolant. Get a service manual and it'll give you step by step directions (free online). This is far from rocket science.

Fairings for these range from around $200 for unpainted white to just under $500 for most painted Chinese. I've purchased about a dozen Chinese fairing sets. My overall feeling is they're 80% as good as OEM at 20% of the price. I've never had any fitment issues that weren't easily addressed. They do tend to be more brittle. If you drop the bike they'll crack instead of scuff like OEM. I've gotten one real crap set but several really nice ones.

Bending one of these upside down forks isn't easy. It takes quite a bit of force. I've seen more tweaked steering stems than forks. If your tire is pointing perfectly straight forward while your top triple is perpendicular to it it's unlikely you bent anything.

Frame damage from this is beyond unlikely. These bikes are tanks. Had one that flipped three times (in the grass). New fairing set, a radiator and it's been going strong the past 14 months.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts