Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got a CF rear hugger from Black Majik that I'm trying to install however, when I was trying to remove the OEM hugger I encountered an issue with the chain side nut/collar.

I originally thought the threads on the screw were stripped however I discovered the nut had broken off from the swingarm and now I don't know how to get the screw out.

I've tried WD-40, using pliers, vice grips and angling the collar to the edge to try and get the screw loose to no avail.

I don't want to shear the screw off as I would still be stuck with the nut/collar being in the swingarm.

Any assistance on how I can remove this would be immensely appreciated.

·
Registered
237 Posts
does it spin freely or is it stuck?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It spins freely from the swingarm, The screw and the nut together.

I tried grabbing just the nut with pliers, etc. so I could unscrew the screw but can't separate them.

Thanks

·
Registered
237 Posts
can you get a wrench on the nut?

·
Banned
718 Posts
If the nutsert is spun then just take a chizel and punch a little notch in the nutsert, then use the chisel to hold the nutsert while you back the bolt out. You'll have to drill the nutsert out once you get the bolt out and pop another in there if ya want

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Dremel the top off it and then drill out what is left, then go get yourself a new nutsert...

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everybody for your feedback.

I bought a good pair of needle nose vise grips and was able to grab enough of the nutsert to back the screw out.

The nutsert is still in the swingarm, however since the nutsert isn't a stressed area, instead of cutting or drilling it out, I was thinking of using "cold weld" to secure the nutsert back with the swingarm.

I figure the fender will cover up my patchwork job and hopefully it will be strong enough not to break free again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts