Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about getting some BST Carbon Fiber rims but I have noticed the OE wheels for my bike are already very light. I would love to hear from someone that has installed Carbon wheels to hear first-hand whether there was a noticeable performance difference or not and if you felt they were worth it.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,799 Posts
hahahahaha

yes, they are worth it. like a million times over worth it.

if you could only do ONE thing to your bike. ONE thing, carbon wheels. no question. it will be the single most night and day difference you've ever felt, bar none.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Excellent. I just put Ohlins valves in the front and will be putting an Ohlins on the rear in short order. I really like the looks of the CF wheels, would just about buy them for that reason alone, but given how light the OE wheels are I was really wondering if they would make much difference. Sounds like it's the icing on the cake - and the clincher :)

Edit: I also picked up Arata Titanium Exhaust for it and sprung for a Lithium battery while I was at it. So...weight should be dropping a ton in short order (which got me on the CF wheel thing too).

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,799 Posts
the stock wheels aren't light. hold them side by side with the bst and you'll understand.

it's hard to explain just how little they weigh.

but static weight savings doesn't hold a candle to wheels. like i said, if i could only do ONE thing to ANY bike, it would be carbon wheels.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have never run carbon fiber wheels, but from feedback of those who have, they really don't do much for "top end" speed, but do help a lot for quicker turn in. Also, I think the BST ones are old school, if i'm not mistaken there are better carbon wheels available now that are even lighter.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Honda OE wheels are among the lightest cast wheels for any stock bike, actually. I know the 600RR were the lightest, probably until recently.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the stock wheels aren't light. hold them side by side with the bst and you'll understand.

it's hard to explain just how little they weigh.

but static weight savings doesn't hold a candle to wheels. like i said, if i could only do ONE thing to ANY bike, it would be carbon wheels.
Thanks! I'm sure it's one of those things where you hold each one (OE and BST) and then go, "ahh..." and I bet when you ride it you also go "Ahhh...." :smile2: Do yours look crappy inside or were the insides finished as well? I saw a review on the net (BST vs Robosomething) and they showed that the BST's are largely unfinished in the area that the tire covers. Also, did you spring for the ceramic bearings? I heard a LOT of great things about them as well.

I have never run carbon fiber wheels, but from feedback of those who have, they really don't do much for "top end" speed, but do help a lot for quicker turn in. Also, I think the BST ones are old school, if i'm not mistaken there are better carbon wheels available now that are even lighter.
Any idea on who the folks are that are also making them? Reputable ones I mean. With respect to quicker turn in, this is something my '06 could really use although I suspect the Ohlins rear and it's height adjustment will help with that.

Honda OE wheels are among the lightest cast wheels for any stock bike, actually. I know the 600RR were the lightest, probably until recently.
I was really surprised how light they are. I was also thinking along the lines of lighter tires. I'm going to install my titanium exhaust and lithium battery in one shot so I get to feel the weight savings there in one massive dose :laugh:

If memory serves the bike was 427 pounds when last weighed. I'm hoping the exhaust and the battery will get me under 400.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
I had an 05 and 07 600RR at the same time shortly. It was amazing how much lighter and how much faster the 07 responded to steering inputs.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,799 Posts
Yes the bst isn't finished in the dished part. Why would it be?

I didn't do ceramic bearings. They're a ton of money and not really optimal for this application anyway. People go to great lengths to save grams, I'd rather stick to things that are more substantial.

My 600 when I had it was 382lbs full of fuel on the Canadian national sbk official scale. Not bad.

You probably won't notice your exhaust and battery much. It only represents a 2-3% reduction in static weight. Having a full tank of fuel vs an empty one is more almost triple that. Is it night and day for you how much fuel is in the bike? If you want the bike to feel light just change the geometry.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I had an 05 and 07 600RR at the same time shortly. It was amazing how much lighter and how much faster the 07 responded to steering inputs.
I haven't ridden the 3rd gen bikes but I can attest to the fact that the '06 doesn't steer that quickly. Having said that, when the suspension is set up correctly it's amazing. But quickly changing your line mid-corner? No, it's not there in it's natural state.

Yes the bst isn't finished in the dished part. Why would it be?

I didn't do ceramic bearings. They're a ton of money and not really optimal for this application anyway. People go to great lengths to save grams, I'd rather stick to things that are more substantial.

My 600 when I had it was 382lbs full of fuel on the Canadian national sbk official scale. Not bad.

You probably won't notice your exhaust and battery much. It only represents a 2-3% reduction in static weight. Having a full tank of fuel vs an empty one is more almost triple that. Is it night and day for you how much fuel is in the bike? If you want the bike to feel light just change the geometry.
At that price point, it would be nice to see the inside look as good as the outside :laugh: The robotex (?) wheels are finished inside and out and they look a lot better. Mind you, once the tire is on it's all moot so it's not a decision-breaker. I suspect I'll be bucking up for the ceramic bearings at the same time. It seems to me to be a case of 'why save now' - hahahaha :grin2:

382 - that's nice. I would love to see what the bike was like at that weight point. On my last bike, the stock exhaust was also very heavy and on one side. Just going to a nice stainless exhaust saved something around 12 pounds and it was readily noticeable, mainly because the majority of the weight was on one side of the bike. Like the fuel tank, the battery is also 'up high weight' although obviously not as high as the fuel tank. I do notice the fuel weight - in fact, I'm very sensitive so I notice almost anything. That makes improvements a lot of fun.

The geometry will be changed as soon as the rear Ohlins gets ordered (probably next month). I have tried moving the forks up in the clamps but never seem to get much out of it. Others have said the real answer is raising the rear and I believe that.

I'm very encouraged by all the posts. The Carbon Wheels will be last on the list but the exhaust/battery/radiator/new rear sets etc are all on their way and I can install them all in an afternoon so it should make for a great test ride! Once that stuff is out of the way the focus will then be Ohlins rear and Carbon Fiber wheels. And...at some point....an engine overhaul as it needs a little bit of tranny work.

Don't know if anyone here has experience with engine overhauls but I am debating (at times) about the merit of honing the cylinders, boring the cylinders or buying a new block. If honing/boring the existing block I would not be able to get the cylinders re-coated (up here in Canada). So that's something I wonder about and have not decided on yet.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,799 Posts
Well your battery and exhaust will get you about a third of what an empty tank will. So keep that in mind.

Paying more to have the inside of the wheel finished is silly, the ONLY benefit at all is your ability to gloat about it to people who don't care. Though a lot of parts have this as the only benefit.

The 600 at 382 was awesome. Though the handling was only as good as it was due to drastically changing the trail numbers. It would have been pretty edgy in stock geometry. I had 25mm clamps on it.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
If you ever put a set of carbon wheels on your bike and see how big of a difference they make, you will be so spoiled that you will never owned a bike without carbon wheels.

If you need BST or Rotobox let me know, we can get you real good prices on them.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,799 Posts
if your tire changer doesn't damage the paint on your normal wheels, it won't damage the CF.

i use a no-mar tire changer for mine. but you can use standard tire changers.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
How hot do the wheels get?
I don't know. But hot enough to break apart when doing laps of Big Willow since turns 8 9 and 10 are so consecutive. Multiple breaks at that corner. Modern carbon threading may have eliminated that problem, but carbon wheels are so exotic that it's hard to ascertain where their limits are. Carbon wheels aren't used in racing, after all.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,799 Posts
They're not allowed mostly because they are difficult to ndt.

I can't imagine it's a heat issue. Wheels don't get hot lol

·
Registered
389 Posts
They're not allowed mostly because they are difficult to ndt.

I can't imagine it's a heat issue. Wheels don't get hot lol
Actually wheels can get quite hot when running at a medium to fast pace. I'll have to get my heat gun out some time.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts