Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting some new rims. The Bst carbon fiber really caught my eye. For people that have aftermarket rims, how do you like them? And also does the carbon fiber hold up good on the street?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
445 Posts
Everyone i know who has upgraded wheels reckon it is hands down the best performance mod they have done to their bike, bar none.

They improve acceleration, agility, braking, performance of the stock suspension (you may need to tweak to match the rims however) - no other single modification can do that.

Unsprung weight (i.e., weight that is on the moving part of your forks or swing-arm) is the most significant weight reduction you can do. Shaving 1 kg of unsprung weight is worth something like 5-10kg of sprung weight as far as handling goes.

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
As a fat old ex bicycle racer, i am a big fan of lighter wheels.

My only reservation about CF wheels is changing tires......the rims are very easy to mar.

If i could afford BST's I would buy a GOOD set of tire change tools, and would change them at home.

Dude , you really have the $$$ to splash on those?

Look in Classifieds for a set of Ohlins suspenders to compliment the wheels?

Wow!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like there's pretty mixed reviews on getting them. Hopefully I can hear from someone who has had them on third bike. The rims would be a summer time buy so I can store away extra cash.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,767 Posts
check my build thread, HERE

i've had BSTS on 3 bikes now, and they are a night and day improvement. nothing you can do to your bike otherwise will make the bike feel so dramatically different.

but of course, you won't notice a difference unless you're on the track, right?

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,767 Posts
no of course not! the wheels from that 600 are on my next project at the moment.

they are too good to part with

·
Registered
966 Posts
You'll never notice a difference unless you're on the track.
Define "notice a difference".
In lap times? In how the bike actually feels and responds to inputs? In looks? Hell that big of a change in unsprung weight will require a suspension setup change, how someone won't notice that difference is beyond me.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
I've ridden two bikes with march alum, one with march mag, one with a bst front carbon (rear was oem because carbon couldn't stand up to the heat cycling of WSIR). To be fair none of them were 600RRs, so I can't direct compare to this particular bike. I didn't feel they offered much, especially for the $$$. Changing ride height and trail numbers can quicken your steering for a lot less. Then again, we're spoiled by the 600RR wheels - they are extremely light.

I don't know how you guys are riding on the street to feel any of this. Personally, my track riding is so much more aggressive and I hammer on that bike, that I couldn't get anywhere near that on the street without dying immediately. And near the edge is the only place that I've ever felt like I could say 'Yes, okay, I can feel the resistance difference of this Nissin master cylinder and this Brembo RCS.' Anything less is all tire profile and bike geometry to get that different feel. You really gonna feel those grams of weight difference putting through Main St.?

Whatever - I know some of you have mad bucks and like buying nice stuff for your bike. I'm not going to say aftermarket rims don't look great and aren't totally cool, because they are.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
FWIW, you can feel a huge difference on a bicycle, switching from "light " to "heavy" wheels/tires.

difference in weight from "light" to "heavy" was about 2 lbs.

The OEM wheels are very light, I have managed to bend the stock wheels from normal street usage alone.

(no potholes where I ride, and a good road surface)

Any posters care to comment on durability of BST wheels?

FC - Interesting comment on "heat cycles" above re BST rear wheel....any more info?

·
Registered
966 Posts
Interesting, I never heard about carbon not standing up to the temps.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Well it's technically hearsay - I'm taking that guy's word for it - but he seems to have the investment to back it up. There's been more than one carbon wheel maker, and I'd imagine their process changes over time so carbon wheels made now may be vastly different to those made 8 years ago.

He has a salient point about damage though - once damaged they cannot be repaired, unlike metal rims. Something to think about.

·
Registered
966 Posts
He has a salient point about damage though - once damaged they cannot be repaired, unlike metal rims. Something to think about.
And also this:
:crackup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts