Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a little searching around and noticed that in Moto GP I don't see Carbon Fiber wheels.

I was curious as to why the BST Carbon Fiber wheels weren't on every single moto GP bike out there. I would figure the weight saving capabilities would be a large enough factor that the wheels would be on almost all the bikes.

I'm assuming the reason as to why I don't see the wheels on the bikes is because of sponsorships or possibly they aren't allowed.

If someone could fill me in that would be great.

Also I'm planing on upgrading my bike and start racing in 2007 or 2008 and was curious as to where I could find some information on Rules and Regulations. I don't want to buy the BST wheels and find out I'm not allowed to use them or I'm moved up into a higher class just because of that.
(note: I have NOT looked around for this yet, Figured I would ask just so I have a jumpstart on things when I do start looking in NOV/DEC.)

·
Registered
993 Posts
You need to find the racing organizations in your area. Their rulebook(s) are typically on their websites. Google WERA West, AFM, WSMC, for California clubs...I'm sure there are others.

Upgrading wheels will typically bump you out of the Supersport/Superstock classes and into Superbike.

·
Super Mod Wanna-be
3,168 Posts
I would think with all the damn power and speed those bad boys put out the CF would be more of a hazzard than a plus. I think magnesium and titanium would be stronger in this case since they are more capable of bending/warping than CF cracking.

Hit a crack or bump going 200mph with CF rims and there's a huge chance that they are going to crack or unravel.

·
Super Mod Wanna-be
3,168 Posts
Well ofcourse the website won't tell you, "capable of breaking and unraveling on impact". This is what I've read and heard from people with experience.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well after doing a search on carbon fiber wheels on this site I was unable to come up with anything to suggest they break. I only noticed a post about clipons that were busted.

One thing I did notice was that everyone likes to refer to wheels as being rims.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts