Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Which tire model delivers the longest road life?

• Bridgestone BT-016

Votes: 14 41.2%
  • Michelin Pilot Power

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Pilot Power 2CT

Votes: 13 38.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a set of each tire before, and I know they are all great. In my mind, each tire compares very well in the street performance category. I don't want to hear any debate about that; I just want to get the most for my money.

I am no stranger to curves, and I actively seek them out where i can, but i live in Iowa, and 90% of my riding is commuting. So all I need to know is:
Which tire will I get the most tire life from?

I also know all about road tires, but frankly, they are all >$50 more than these tires and to me that is not equivalent to the extra miles they provide.

So unless someone knows of a dual compound road tire that sells for less than 230 for a pair, I'd appreciate staying on-topic.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
I've had a set of each tire before, and I know they are all great. In my mind, each tire compares very well in the street performance category. I don't want to hear any debate about that; I just want to get the most for my money.

I am no stranger to curves, and I actively seek them out where i can, but i live in Iowa, and 90% of my riding is commuting. So all I need to know is:
Which tire will I get the most tire life from?

I also know all about road tires, but frankly, they are all >$50 more than these tires and to me that is not equivalent to the extra miles they provide.

So unless someone knows of a dual compound road tire that sells for less than 230 for a pair, I'd appreciate staying on-topic.

Thanks guys!
so, based on the numbers i have heard, $50 isnt worth almost double the tire life?

ive heard say, power 2cts are going to get you about 6k miles (more if you dont rag on em, but then why get 2cts?) ... 2ct roads are good to push 12k ?

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
I got about 5k commuter miles out of my 2CT's before the middle of the rears reached the wear mark, the front still has at least 1k miles left though.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
so, based on the numbers i have heard, $50 isnt worth almost double the tire life?

ive heard say, power 2cts are going to get you about 6k miles (more if you dont rag on em, but then why get 2cts?) ... 2ct roads are good to push 12k ?

I'd never heard of getting double the miles, I'd look into it at that point.

I love my current 016's, they seem to have given me more miles than my PPs

would you say the center grip is softer(shorter lasting) in the 2ct's vs the regular powers?

I don't want to lose confidence in my cornering for just 1K more miles or so, but if the grip didn't suffer much, and the miles ever exceeded 10,000 I'd consider them.
Why doesn't Cycle Sector sell Road2CT fronts individually?

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
I'd never heard of getting double the miles, I'd look into it at that point.

probably a combo 2CT front/ Road 2CT rear to get good front grip and a long lasting rear.

I love my current 016's, they seem to have given me more miles than my PPs

would you say the center grip is softer(shorter lasting) in the 2ct's vs the regular powers?

I don't want to lose confidence in my cornering for just 1K more miles or so, but if the grip didn't suffer much, and the miles ever exceeded 10,000 I'd consider them.

No, PP, and PP 2ct have the same center, 2ct has softer sides for the corner.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
good thread, since I am in the market for new tires. My dealer only stocks the PP's and my friend got 7k miles out of his PP, but he doesnt ride hard at the same time.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I got right under 6k miles out of my PP 2ct's. I went with the BT-016's for my new tires. So far they seem to be wearing really well, but it's still too early to really tell.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Good thing someone started this thread. I'll be in the market for new tires soon and was looking at these 3 tires as well. I also use my bike for mostly commuting.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I've had all three sets and the BT 016's are the best so far.
The compound seems more soft and they last a long time!

I'm inclined to agree, however, Right now there is a $40 dollar premium at Cycle Sector on the BT-016's.

a set of tires for ~200 shipped is hard to pass up. I'll prob go with the michelins and try them out one more time. I had a good experience mixing the two tire brands the last time, so I'll prob mount my front first and use the rest of my nearly new 016 rear then switch to all PP

that is, unless Disco decides to have a tire sale on bridgestones in the next month.... free shipping even?
Edit:Damn, Disco just discontinued the "Michelin" coupon before I could order my tires, sprocket & chain

·
Registered
186 Posts
I got 5700 out of my BT-016 rear...I still have maybe 1,000 left on the front...but so close I am changing both. This includes one trip to Deal's Gap.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have 3000kms on my 2ct rear and it still looks new. I check pressures weekly and use 36 Front and 42 Rear. i commute daily to work.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so it seems PP and 2ct theoretically have the same mileage potential, correct? same center compound & all.

I have to admit that I don't know any actual miles for each tire because I've been running a 15/45 setup for half my bike's life and just switched to 15/43 with my last tire change, so i don't really know how far I've gone (not to mention how many miles my bike has on the ODO).

The only thing I know is that I ride between 8-14,000 miles each season and the 016 is the only tire to last an entire season with me. (the front has lasted two seasons, approx the same life of my chain).

I know many track junkies swear by Pirelli's, but I don't even have a track within 200 miles and I'm not made of money, so for 1/3 less $$$ I'll stick with what i know.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I got 12k out of my last set of Pilot Powers, about 70% commuting, 30% aggressive riding.
Honestly, as long as you're not doing burnouts and maintaining proper tire presssure, Unless you are riding track, there's really no point you shouldn't be gettin around 10k miles out of PP's.

Btw, Now I have Pilot powers 2ct with 2k miles already and I must say that they are so much better in the turns. I love them and am scared to give another tire a try due to being scared of being dissapointed. :) hope that help someone.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I live in michigan and 95% of the roads here are straight, the other 5% about 75% of them are in too bad of shape to lean far. I have had both the pp2ct and the bridgestone's and the bridgestones last WAY longer in the center. they have a harder compound in the center whereas the michilans do not. I also like the feel of the bridgestones better...

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I got 12k out of my last set of Pilot Powers, about 70% commuting, 30% aggressive riding.
Honestly, as long as you're not doing burnouts and maintaining proper tire presssure, Unless you are riding track, there's really no point you shouldn't be gettin around 10k miles out of PP's.
You must have no clue about living somewhere with straight roads then. my PP's wore out so quick in the middle it was crazy. I think i got 3k out of them. Like i said above most of our roads are straight though, so my tire will be flat in the middle, and new on the sides...

p.s.- this is with no burnouts and proper pressure.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
hmmm interesting i live in michigan as well and im probably going to need tires this season

1 - 20 of 55 Posts