Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking hard about building a supermotard/street machine.

I am wondering what would be the best bike to use? And I am also wondering what it takes to convert a dirtbike into a street bike! Legality issues, etc.

The DRZ 400 may be the easiest machine to do this with but I'd rather use a Honda product. Possibly an XR 400!

Any thoughts, ideas or experiences?? I'd luv to have one to park right along side my 600RR!

Thanks!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Check out the Husqvarna's

How about one of these bad boys. Comes already set up.

My friend has one and it is a blast to ride. Plus it has the lighting coil and other features which most dirtbikes do not.

KTM also makes a nice one

[/url]

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Oooooh! Supermoto talk!

I was in the same position as you for a long time. The plans are on hold right now, but you're on the right path.

Things were a bit more complicated for me because of recent CA legislation that no longer makes it possible to convert a dirtbike for the street, as of the beginning of this year. (If it rolls off the showroom floor already street-legal, that's a different story.) Not sure if you have those issues in NC.

But anyway, the DRZ400S was at the top of my list for a while because it is already street legal. Good suspension, a good value, and light. I've seen some very trick motarded DRZs. Slap on some blingin 17s, get the Yoshimura exhaust, and it looks about as sharp as any motard that you will ever see.

The Hondas are refined machines. The XR400R is a good platform to start with, but if you are planning on doing some highway miles, the XR650R is probably a better choice. I'd love to build a XR650R supermoto conversion, but they are not streetable, so no-go for me. The XR650L (street legal) is an option, but it is a *very* different animal from the XR650R.

Of course you can always buy a bike that is already motarded and street-legal. Specifically, the KTM 625SMC (current model), or the slightly older (2001) KTM Supermoto. Nice machines. They have a bit more "character" than the Japanese dirtbikes, but they also are more maintenance-intensive.

By the way, the Motostrano shop that RRdvark suggested is a great place to shop for motard conversions and parts. They're actually in my area, and I've been there many times. Good stuff.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
LOL, I have been wanting a motard for me and the wife for a while.

I've heard the KTMs are not the greatest when it comes to service.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'd like to super motard a Honda CR500!!! That would be a wild ride for sure!!! :cruising:

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
fm5150 said:
I want a motard too, the streets of SF are crap, and these things go evrywhere.

I want one :cry:
No shite. I could easily see a motard being my ONLY street machine (even for the twisties down in the santa cruz mountains). I have almost no desire to street the CBR any more. A motard is just a more suitable tool for the tight, technical roads we have here. (And I haven't even started talking about the goat trails yet!)

Heck, I'd even take it to the big tracks on occasion. (Well, maybe not Thunderhill, but Infineon for sure.)

I want one SO badly....

·
Registered
124 Posts
how can it be affordable to turn a dirtbike into a streetbike? are 4 strokes easier to maintain (ie less rebuilding) than a 2 sttroke? is it true you gotta rebuil them all the time?? im a nooooooooob

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Heh heh....who said anything about being affordable...LOL. Yeah, it can easily require $2-3k to convert a dirt bike to serious motard form. We're talking 17" wheels, tires, bigger rotors, relocated calipers, at the very least.

But the $hit is FUN!!!!

Unless you race, you typically wouldn't want to motard a 2-stroke. Too much rebuilding, as you hinted. 4 strokes don't really require rebuilding. Valves just need to be done -- especially on the KTMs...3000 mile valve maintenance intervals, I believe.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
The KTM 625SMC Supermoto is about $7000 MSRP.

Not sure what the Huskie SM450R goes for.

Japanese dirtbikes that are commonly converted for street motard use:

Honda XR650R - $6000
Honda XR400R - $5300
Suzuki DRX400S - $5500

Considering the cost of conversion (let's say $2k), the KTM seems a better value, but keep in mind the more frequent maintenance intervals. And even a simple oil change can be a b!tch. Plus, for lots of people, half the fun of motarding is customizing a barebones dirtbike with individually spec'ed components. I know a guy who had a KTM Supermoto, but he went out and spent another 3 grand on wheels, rotors, exhaust, etc. just to make it look custom.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My friend paid 6500 for his Husq smr450. Put about another 100 bucks for a brake light and directionals and pressure swithces for the brakes. He has over 5k miles on the thing. It will do 130 and has absolutely no problems keeping up on the streets. That thing is a torque machine.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts