Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever build a trailer from scratch? I am thinking about doing this. I have the tools and know-how but not sure if it will be worth the effort and how much $$$$$ will I really save?

I figure I will likely have to order a lot of parts on-line and by the time I pay for shipping, etc. I won't save that much money.

·
Vendor
14,330 Posts
You can get parts at northern tool. They have the axles etc... You could save some money if you have the time know how. T

·
Registered
810 Posts
Anyone ever build a trailer from scratch? I am thinking about doing this. I have the tools and know-how but not sure if it will be worth the effort and how much $$$$$ will I really save?

I figure I will likely have to order a lot of parts on-line and by the time I pay for shipping, etc. I won't save that much money.
What you don't say is:

the size of the trailer?
covered or not?
amount of axles?
braked or not?
suspension?
& what it's to be used for?

I'd look on eba*

A basic trailer is fairly cheap to make - box steel, wood, axle, small wheels, lights & a hitch.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What you don't say is:

the size of the trailer?
covered or not?
amount of axles?
braked or not?
suspension?
& what it's to be used for?
5' x 8'
uncovered
1 axle
not braked
leaf spring suspension
used to haul 2 bikes....

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can get parts at northern tool. They have the axles etc... You could save some money if you have the time know how. T
Is norther tool similar to harbor freight?

There isn't a Northern Tool in MI......

·
Politically Incorrect
124 Posts
Is norther tool similar to harbor freight?

There isn't a Northern Tool in MI......
they are a mail order harbor freight but with better products ... while you can get stuff from them that is made in china it is not all they carry... they actually have quality products

northerntool.com

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help. Just for the axle kit and 5 wheels it already totals: $449 + $100 in shipping = $549.

https://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ShoppingCartView?langId=-1&catalogId=4006970&storeId=6970&krypto=UhBwDl0s9HFx3/cbptRcEXukQuP9AQEVgKnJIkqXeO54nls3nl8mOHDE97R7jRynFf4dJJwDl/LC ijYJ4QOsEAr4x7dMkPWZjwRLbMP8DNmzm9LpaRV7nIpOupiAW2FIcHmuANw8YZ1DwaE8sGVlSrn/ xVc+Rc+fm5aUgQ8JfG0V/BtVDzcuDAbDtsyykQSN&ddkey=http:OrderItemUpdate

For just a little bit more (probably about $200) I can pick one up from Tractor Supply..

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_33680_______14297|14337|14342|33680?listingPage=true&Special=false

Not sure what I am missing...why building one is so costly. I haven't even added in the metal for frame, jack, lighting, etc.

·
Registered
810 Posts
This is why I'd look on eba* for one.
Don't forget you would then need:

Anchor points for the bikes,
maybe a tarpaulin to cover them,
Hitch lock & or a wheel clamp to stop it being stolen,
tow bar / hitch on the tow vehicle..

The list just goes on...

good luck

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm going to check egay and c-list for a while and see what I can find. Someone has to have one that they recently bought but don't need anymore.

·
Registered
460 Posts
There's a member here who sells trailers and foldable trailers also. IIRC the prices were around 700-900 depending on models and options. Search under the classifieds sections and you should be able to find them pretty easily.

If it's only a couple hundred more then maybe it would be easier to just buy one? That's for you to decide. Would be a fun project though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts