Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all.

Just thought I'd share a few pics of my track bike I built over the winter. Just waiting for lock down to end and I can get on the track. This is my first dedicated track bike. Been a big learning curve converting it from road to track. Had a few issues on the way but guess that's part of it. Put a few nice bits on that I can't wait to try out!

Painted in Porsche crayon grey
Powder coated day glow red wheels
Brembo rcs19 master cylinder
Brembo M4 calipers
Hel stainless steel lines
Akrapovic exhaust
Renthal sprockets
DID 520 chain
Domino quick throttle
Gilles rear sets
I designed the number and graphics
A few carbon bits
HRC rear reservoir delete kit
EBC discs 320 mm
WP steering damper
Samco hose kit
PP tuning clip ons
Ktech piston kit, springs in forks (new)

Just got suspension and power commander/quick shifter to sort

·
Registered
264 Posts
Bike looks nice, good job.

Just a heads up on the HRC tubing for the rear brake M/C. You will find the tubing will "sweat" out the brake fluid very quickly, leaving the outside of the tube wet with brake fluid.

Do yourself a favour and bin it off and use Tygon tubing instead. That's what I have on now and it doesn't sweat.

Here's a link to a complete kit including cap and clamps.

Tygon 2375 tubing 8mm + ALUMINIUM PLUG+SS CLAMPS reservoir hose ID 30cm TBE.012 | eBay

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bike looks nice, good job.

Just a heads up on the HRC tubing for the rear brake M/C. You will find the tubing will "sweat" out the brake fluid very quickly, leaving the outside of the tube wet with brake fluid.

Do yourself a favour and bin it off and use Tygon tubing instead. That's what I have on now and it doesn't sweat.

Here's a link to a complete kit including cap and clamps.

Tygon 2375 tubing 8mm + ALUMINIUM PLUG+SS CLAMPS reservoir hose ID 30cm TBE.012 | eBay
Hi. Yeah funny enough, I've found that's happened already and it's exactly what I'm gonna do. I have tygon on the front so will use it at the back too. Cheers for the heads up 👍

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nice looking bike, I like the colors you chose. I'll be receiving a used set of race fairings soon, gotta figure out what color I'll be going with.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks guys👍 Got my first track day this year on Tuesday. Let's hope it's dry and I stay on the bike 😁

Added a carbon swingarm cover and frame covers too.

Also switched the HRC reservoir delete for a tygon tube. Much better now. The HRC tube started to bulge in shape. Was full of condensation.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What’s the part number for that domino throttle? And where did you get it?
I ordered it on eBay from a bike shop. There's loads on there just search 'domino quick throttle XM2'. You'll need to buy the universal cable kit if it's for the 05/06 or older RR as they don't have a ready made set for it. This means you have to measure them yourself and cut them down to fit them. Mine has the 3 adjusters for the response of the throttle. To be honest, it's probably best to get the one that's the standard 'quick' throttle rather than having the adjustable one as it's cheaper and now I've got used to it, the other adjusters aren't gonna get used.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Update on the Tygon tubing I used for the rear brake.

I had an off first time with the Tygon tubing fitted, which happened after 5 laps, back in August. It was a very hot day, first session and I was 8 seconds off my usual lap times. Came out of a second gear right hander with about 50m to the next left and the back end suddenly came around on me and I was on the deck.

I'm not ashamed to admit when I've cocked up, but I have no idea why this happened. Have looked at clutch and gearbox issues, but ruled them out. Then noticed the brake fluid level in the hose was right to the top under the plug. When I filled it I left at least a 20mm gap between top of fluid and underside of the plug.

I think the pads have dragged, got hot, expanded the fluid which has pushed back into the hose. Then with nowhere to go has pushed the pads onto the disc, locking up the rear wheel. I can't prove this, but when I took out the plug, the fluid level in the hose moved up!

The plug that comes with the Tygon tubing does not have an air vent in it, so I would suggest drilling a very small hole in it. That's what I will be doing. Actually I'm going to reinstate the OE fluid reservoir for peace of mind.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update on the Tygon tubing I used for the rear brake.

I had an off first time with the Tygon tubing fitted, which happened after 5 laps, back in August. It was a very hot day, first session and I was 8 seconds off my usual lap times. Came out of a second gear right hander with about 50m to the next left and the back end suddenly came around on me and I was on the deck.

I'm not ashamed to admit when I've cocked up, but I have no idea why this happened. Have looked at clutch and gearbox issues, but ruled them out. Then noticed the brake fluid level in the hose was right to the top under the plug. When I filled it I left at least a 20mm gap between top of fluid and underside of the plug.

I think the pads have dragged, got hot, expanded the fluid which has pushed back into the hose. Then with nowhere to go has pushed the pads onto the disc, locking up the rear wheel. I can't prove this, but when I took out the plug, the fluid level in the hose moved up!

The plug that comes with the Tygon tubing does not have an air vent in it, so I would suggest drilling a very small hole in it. That's what I will be doing. Actually I'm going to reinstate the OE fluid reservoir for peace of mind.
Do you think if you had more space in the tygon tube it wouldn't have happened? Mine has about 1inch gap between the fluid and the cap. But if I'm honest I hardly ever use my rear brake 😬

·
Registered
264 Posts
Not sure. But it does need an air vent as in normal operation there is a return valve in the master cylinder.

Well I never use my rear brake on track and it still happened.

To reiterate, I haven't proved beyond any doubt this is the cause. However it was the first time I rode the bike after fitting the Tygon tubing. Before that I used the HRC stuff. Maybe the HRC cap has a vent in it (I haven't checked that, so I should do) and also as the hose "sweats" maybe that allows air in.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thought I'd add a few pics from this year's track days... Oulton Park, Cadwell Park and Donington...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts