Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
How did you attach the mesh in your tail holes please?
I've used aluminium heat tape to attach it to the fairing. So far it's stayed put. I did that as it could be removed. But on my other fairing, I've fibreglassed the grill to the fairing. It's obviously stronger but the downside is it's permanent (unless I cut it out). Can't see what I'd need to though and if I was painting the fairing again I would just mask it off.

I'm tempted to do the front grill in the nose too.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I've used aluminium heat tape to attach it to the fairing. So far it's stayed put. I did that as it could be removed. But on my other fairing, I've fibreglassed the grill to the fairing. It's obviously stronger but the downside is it's permanent (unless I cut it out). Can't see what I'd need to though and if I was painting the fairing again I would just mask it off.

I'm tempted to do the front grill in the nose too.
Thanks very much. Thinking of tidying up my race bodywork in the same way.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Yeah I've been getting into fibreglassing to strengthen the fairing especially around the mount holes. Working out pretty well. I've added some carbon/Kevlar on some of the mount that were getting tatty. Makes a big difference and pretty easy to do. I'll post pics when I get them finished. This is for my spare set I bought second hand. Doing a different design on this set.

I'm in the process of installing an STM slipper clutch but having a nightmare as I bought it second hand and then found it's too worn out to work. When installed its slipping and going straight into gear regardless of the clutch. So I'm trying to source parts for it as I've been told my clutch is the older style and the clutch design has changed for newer models. Don't suppose you've got any experience with installing an STM slipper clutch?

Here's mine showing the wear

Here's the newer design. Doesn't seem to have the metal ring that the older design has...

I'm wondering if the new design will work with the rest of the parts in my clutch. I'd need to replace the hub, drum and pressure plate on mine.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Afraid not and my experience of them is limited. I have a Sigma slipper fitted to mine. It has nowhere near the amount of parts that the STM has. Works very well and if you ever need any help from Neil Spalding (owner and former MotoGP technical expert on TV) he is incredibly helpful.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I mannaged to get hold of someone at STM and it seems that the clutch is knackered. It's a case of buying a new hub, pressure plate and drum or buy a new one. The price is nearly the same!

How much was the sigma clutch? It uses clutch springs from the 07 model doesn't it?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Afraid not and my experience of them is limited. I have a Sigma slipper fitted to mine. It has nowhere near the amount of parts that the STM has. Works very well and if you ever need any help from Neil Spalding (owner and former MotoGP technical expert on TV) he is incredibly helpful.

With the sigma clutch do you need to use a clutch pack from the 07 bike? Or can you use one from the 05/06 model? Is there a difference between the models for the clutch plates?

I know you need the springs from the 07 model.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'd go for a brand new one if I were you. You know where you are then.

I got my Sigma second hand through Chris Mehew (engine tuner) and it had been fitted to a TT bike and used for about 8 laps.

The Sigma clutch uses clutch plates from the 2005/2006 model (there's one part that isn't used, the thin ring) and yes, springs from the 2007 model, as these are stronger than the 05/06 springs. As I said, the Sigma is a lot, lot simpler design and works really well. I suspect there is a difference in clutch plates, so stick with 2005/2006 plates. Sigma can advise. There are a few different versions as they get updated/improved over time.

If you go for a Sigma and speak to Neil Spalding, please tell him Rob in Jersey recommended buying a Sigma. He was extremely helpful when I had an issue with my bike, which in the end was nothing to do with the clutch. I'd like to repay his kindness.

Our range of slipper clutches

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I'd go for a brand new one if I were you. You know where you are then.

I got my Sigma second hand through Chris Mehew (engine tuner) and it had been fitted to a TT bike and used for about 8 laps.

The Sigma clutch uses clutch plates from the 2005/2006 model (there's one part that isn't used, the thin ring) and yes, springs from the 2007 model, as these are stronger than the 05/06 springs. As I said, the Sigma is a lot, lot simpler design and works really well. I suspect there is a difference in clutch plates, so stick with 2005/2006 plates. Sigma can advise. There are a few different versions as they get updated/improved over time.

If you go for a Sigma and speak to Neil Spalding, please tell him Rob in Jersey recommended buying a Sigma. He was extremely helpful when I had an issue with my bike, which in the end was nothing to do with the clutch. I'd like to repay his kindness.

Our range of slipper clutches
Yeah I think I will get a new one when I do. It's a pain in the ass with the one I have. I've contacted Neil so will see what he says price wise. He also confirmed like you did, that it uses same clutch plates that I have. Which is good as I've just got a brand new pack. I'd just need the 07 springs.

Did you fit yours yourself? Any recommendations on the clutch holding tool?

Looks a relatively ok job looking at videos on YouTube. The STM looked like more of a faff. Probably will go with the sigma in the end.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yeah I think I will get a new one when I do. It's a pain in the ass with the one I have. I've contacted Neil so will see what he says price wise. He also confirmed like you did, that it uses same clutch plates that I have. Which is good as I've just got a brand new pack. I'd just need the 07 springs.

Did you fit yours yourself? Any recommendations on the clutch holding tool?

Looks a relatively ok job looking at videos on YouTube. The STM looked like more of a faff. Probably will go with the sigma in the end.
You might need an extra plate, but Neil will advise.

Chris Mehew fitted it for me when having the engine refreshed. But I have had it off searching for another problem and it was dead easy. I bought a Laser Tools clutch holder, but that turned out to be not very good. In the end I borrowed a mates one which has the Mole Grips type handle. Much better a it fitted well and it clamps shut meaning you can just concentrate on holding it still whilst undoing/doing up the big nut. Buy one of those.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts