Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My battery tray is burning within 1 mile down the road. There was quite a bit of smoke. It is stock exhaust with a cutout I still have the heat shields and I even have wrapped some of the exhaust it is painted in HI-TEMP black. Is there anything I can put on the bottom of the tray to help? When I took the seat off after riding for 1 mile the tray was extremely hot.:banghead:

Attachments

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
looks like an exhaust dumper ;/

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol, thats the cutout that I mentioned in the first post. Any suggestions on the battery tray?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The problem isn't the battery tray, it's your exhaust.

I know, I was just thinking about the piece we had to cut off the weld in the cutout and I remember it had some sort of heat wrap built inside it. But, is there anything I can do to fix it without re-doing the exhaust?

D

·
0 Posts
I know, I was just thinking about the piece we had to cut off the weld in the cutout and I remember it had some sort of heat wrap built inside it. But, is there anything I can do to fix it without re-doing the exhaust?
You basically built a huge heatsink onto your exhaust which is doing nothing but creating a hot spot in your exhaust, and what I would assume, dumping exhaust gasses directly under your subframe.

Paul, people with little knowledge of how things actually work like to put flapper valves on their exhausts so they can make their bike louder.
:crackup:

Vroom vroom...****, my ass is on fire!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You basically built a huge heatsink onto your exhaust which is doing nothing but creating a hot spot in your exhaust, and what I would assume, dumping exhaust gasses directly under your subframe.

Paul, people with little knowledge of how things actually work like to put flapper valves on their exhausts so they can make their bike louder.

It does it with it closed too. But, I actually couldn't feel any heat. I just happend to look down when I was at a stoplight and saw smoke.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, the exhaust cut-out is a electronic butterfly valve that allows you to open via switch so when open, the exhaust will exit through it before it reaches the canister. Muscle cars use it so if they want to run "straight-pipe". I thought it's normally installed before the catalytic converter for it to be functional.

·
07 TRACK SLAG!
6,618 Posts
It just bypasses the muffler by pressing a button. I think I'm the first one to do it on a bike tho.
mate that is your problem right there, when you have it shut the gases are not flowing free, because of the extra traps. this will cause big heat soak.

D

·
0 Posts
It just bypasses the muffler by pressing a button. I think I'm the first one to do it on a bike tho.
Give me a minute to find the picture of the guy who attempted to weld an aluminum flapper valve to his steel exhaust.

·
07 TRACK SLAG!
6,618 Posts

lol its a new one on me mate

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Correct me if I'm wrong, the exhaust cut-out is a electronic butterfly valve that allows you to open via switch so when open, the exhaust will exit through it before it reaches the canister. Muscle cars use it so if they want to run "straight-pipe". I thought it's normally installed before the catalytic converter for it to be functional.

Correct, but it doesn't have to be before the catalytic converter for it to work, infact my local shop isn't aloud to install them before the catalytic converter.

·
Registered
766 Posts
mate that is your problem right there, when you have it shut the gases are not flowing free, because of the extra traps. this will cause big heat soak.
:+1: Instead of the exhaust gas going straight through the pipe through the canister, it's getting stuck in a "whirlwind" where the valve is causing increase heat since it cannot escape as intented.

·
07 TRACK SLAG!
6,618 Posts
I can see how that would make sense, but it also does it when it's open.
doesn't matter, they are designed to me smoth so hot gases can flow smoothly out of the system, you have bolted a load of extra metal on the bike, the heat can not flow past this, so it will just heat the extra parts up. open or closed

1 - 20 of 36 Posts