Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate cali. No one wants to give me a 600RR for less than 10g's. But i know in other states they are WAY the hell cheaper. If i drove 4 hours to arizona and bought one what else would i need to do? what hidden costs would arise?

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Well u living in cali and being from cali it's almost impossible. An out of state bike brought in by a resident has to have 7500 miles to register it. It's law. U would also have to pay sales tax. Way more trouble then it's worth. Try La cycles.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just moved here from Massachusetts and had my 04 for about 9 months before moving out here. The bike had 900 miles on it and I had NO problems registering it out here. I went to AAA and had them do it. I paid no additional sales tax or anything. The AAA guy said the 7500 mile rule applied to vehicles that could be smogged only and bikes were exempt.
I walked out with the registration, plates and insurance in about an hour.
Of course, I was a resident of Mass when I bought it sooo.

If you are a AAA member, it wouldn't hurt to ask the guys there.

e-mail me if you have any questions.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
vossman said:
I just moved here from Massachusetts and had my 04 for about 9 months before moving out here. The bike had 900 miles on it and I had NO problems registering it out here. I went to AAA and had them do it. I paid no additional sales tax or anything. The AAA guy said the 7500 mile rule applied to vehicles that could be smogged only and bikes were exempt.
I walked out with the registration, plates and insurance in about an hour.
Of course, I was a resident of Mass when I bought it sooo.

If you are a AAA member, it wouldn't hurt to ask the guys there.

e-mail me if you have any questions.
Hey! u moved here. He's already here. When ur moving here it's different just like if your military. Barf is a huge forum in cali. I can show u a million threads saying the same thing. Cali guys can't bring an out of state bike into cali unless it has more then 7500 miles. Cali has tougher smog laws. That's why we have extra crap on our bike. The law is so that people can't jsut go buy a bike in another state.

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=122801&highlight=7500+miles+register
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=119573&highlight=7500+miles+register

Here's a link to the state that says thefollowing:

"If you are a resident of California
and buy or acquire a new car, truck or
motorcycle in another state, it must be
"California Certified" to meet
California emission laws, unless it
meets one of the exceptions listed
below.
California Law considers any
vehicle purchased with less than
7,500 miles on the odometer a NEW
vehicle. California Law also
prohibits a California resident or
business from driving their vehicle
to obtain in excess of 7,500 miles."
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/NonCAVeh/NonCAVeh.pdf

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey back.
I guess it is the residency thing then. Cali DMV is so full of crap when it comes to stuff like this though.
The DMV tried charging me difference between mass sales tax (5.5%) and cali (8.25%) when I registerd my cars here.

·
Registered
147 Posts
vossman, AZ does that too... they wanna see your sales reciept if you bring a vehicle from out of state to make sure they can rape you too

·
Registered
904 Posts
If you have a relative that lives out of state this is VERY simple

Have them put the bike in their name and register the bike out of state, that way you don't have to pay 8.25% tax, Cali smog, etc, etc

If the bike is registered to someone who lives out of state, then they legally can't do anything about where the bike is registered.....

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yes... La Cycle SPorts.... talk to their internet guys at Call Sam, Ray or Bob at 310 677 0900 or 310 946 5148 to place your order.

$8999 out the door (that includes tax, registration, delivery, etc). I've bought 2 bikes from them already (an 03 & 04).

·
Registered
233 Posts
bought mine at honda of sumter in SC. I live in saint louis Mo, got the bike for 7300 out the door 400 bucks shipping yoshi exhaust and still the out the door w/shipping was cheaper than anywhere around here if you call them talk to tank and tell him i sent ya!!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
There are ways around the 7500 mile clause, but you better be prepared and have the code with you to back it up, since DMV is usually clueless.

Look at motoman's post in the second barf link. He is a CHP ;) That is one way to do it.

Another is the runaround language as to why you cannot bring a 49-state vehicle into CA. i.e. it has to be smog compliant. But the code specifically referred to another code which states that motorcycles are exempt from smog tests.

I intend to by another used bike for street and its likely not to be from California. Hopefully it will be close in mileage or I will use the 90-day clause.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts