Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after months of thnking about it i have decided i am going to buy a mazda rx8 instead of a street bike.

I have been riding track only last year and was going to buy another street bike this year but decided not to. after thinking about it for months i have come to the conclusion i dont think the fun i get from riding on the street after the track out weights the risks. in the 10k miles i rode on the street i have been hit by a car and have had to many close calls with others. i just know if i get another street bike i will end up dead.

i want something fun on the street for the summer and the rx8 seems very fun and is nicely priced used. i feel so bad about the money i will not have to spend on track days but i still will be able to do at least 1 or 2 a month instead of maybe 3.

i am not a car person at all really. i cant work on them at all. however i knew nothing about bikes 2 years ago when i started riding and now i feel i know a lot more than the average joe just street riding and am capable of most the work on them. what i really dont like is the insurance is very high because i am only 19.

any one else have a similar sports car? is it as fun as i am hoping? i just hope i dont regret it. i think the car will be fun but the payments will not. i paid cash for my bike so i never had a payment.

i am going to look at her tomorrow its 100 miles away but its the only one i could find that has mostly everything i want.

http://images.cobaltgroup.com/9/5/2/1086738259x250.jpg

·
Registered
411 Posts
i have been to more car accidents involving deaths than motorcycle crashes.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there are a lot more cars than bikes.

really its not the death thing that scares me as much as the broken spine / never walking again.

i get up from a crash at the track and i am like wow i went really far after hitting the ground. i dont want to tumble into a railing at 35+ mph.

·
Registered
411 Posts
there are a lot more cars than bikes.

really its not the death thing that scares me as much as the broken spine / never walking again.

i get up from a crash at the track and i am like wow i went really far after hitting the ground. i dont want to tumble into a railing at 35+ mph.

you can get killed walking you doggy too. If you take all the necessary steps(protective gear, training) you should fare well..... If you are afraid of of riding... then dont ride. Get the car... if you have the fear, you are going to go down hard.

as far as the car.... what do you want out of the car? do you want to mod it? do you want to track it? how much do you want to spend on the car.. mods?

·
Registered
231 Posts
You might want to research the RX8. It's not a regular sports car. It actually requires more care than say a 350Z/370Z, S2000, Mustang or Camaro, due to its rotary engine. Before you can actually drive it, the engine must be up to operating temp, like a bike but to shut it off, you must also wait till it cools. Also, they drink gas like there is no tomorrow and you're suppose to check the oil every time you fill up. My friend had one and he hated it because of all the maintenance you had to do for it. It's a fun car and it handles great. But you'll be lucky if you can get 15-17 mpg. I'm not sure if all of this is true but it's what I had experienced with my friend's car and the research I did.

·
Registered
132 Posts
might want to get the s2k or miata if you want 2 seater sports car or 370 and those in the same class. Rotary is very prone to malfunction and not very good on the gas either i am told. Dont know first hand tho never had the car just heard thing from my friend who has an rx7. up to you tho its not the worst car out there thats for sure

·
Registered
228 Posts
Sounds like you've weighed out the pros and cons of having a bike, and made your decision.

As far as purchasing a car for enjoyment, you need to decide what you want out of it. Such as: Power, handling, practicality, fuel efficiency, maintenance, etc..

The RX8 will be a fun car to drive. But really, you need to decide what you want out of your vehicle before settling on a specific model.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The non-turbo rotaries are actually quite reliable. Once you start adding boost is when you have problems. There used to be a video where a guy redlined a motor until it gave up and that took almost 5 minutes of 8k rpm to pop. Kinda makes me miss my old RX-7.

If I were you, I wouldn't get the RX-8 unless you're ok with terrible gas mileage and constantly checking the oil level.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I used to want an rx-8.... i like them, but there are better cars. They had engine problems in certain years which is covered by a 100,000 mile warranty now. I talked to a guy with a really cool one that said its junk unless you turbo it. He said he hated it til he got the turbo. So i guess that would be my suggestion. Otherwise maybe look around a bit more, they are a little overpriced for the car i think after reviewing them. :)

·
Registered
247 Posts
I took my rx8 to the track along with my bike. Both were amazing! The car is tiring to drive every day because its so "sporty", and like someone posted above, it consumes a lot of gas, oil, and requires maintenance. Sweet car, though. I put aftermarket exhaust on and it sounded great.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Lots of money in gas and oil.

It's your money, but I opted for the S2000.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Out of all the possible choices y go with the rx-8. They're junk and for the most part slower then most of the cars on the road stock for stock. If u want a cheap fun car look into a used s2k, rsx-s, or a turbo jetta, or Mazda 6. Heck even some of the older wrx would b a better car then the rx-8. They may look nice but the majority won't want to keep it. Y do u think they resale so cheap

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i have done my research on them. my car only get 20mpg that i dive now. i am keeping the car i have now for towing.

i know about the maintenance and the engine. i like it because it has the rotatory engine.

i will never turbo it. i want a fun car thats mostly stock and this seems to be one that is.

they are very cheap used compared to use. they are like 32k new. i am looking at a 05 with 35k miles and full service records for 11k.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Out of all the possible choices y go with the rx-8. They're junk and for the most part slower then most of the cars on the road stock for stock. If u want a cheap fun car look into a used s2k, rsx-s, or a turbo jetta, or Mazda 6. Heck even some of the older wrx would b a better car then the rx-8. They may look nice but the majority won't want to keep it. Y do u think they resale so cheap
:+1:...rx8's are garbage. I'd go with either a used s2k, 06+ civic Si, wrx, mazdaspeed 3 or 6, or GTI.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I would also discourage the rx8 unless you know what you're getting into. The rotary engine is a whole different game, so not as many people know how to work on them. This likely means dealership service rates if something goes wrong unless you learn how to work on it. If you do learn how to do serious type work on it some of the knowledge won't transfer to the 99% of non rotary cars on the road. They also require a complete rebuild when the seals go if I remember correctly. In my opinion the car isn't great enough to offset all the "negatives". There are a million and one other decent handling, mid 14 second, piston cars that don't require the extensive maintenance or other hardships that come with this car.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Well if the rotary engine is what has you sold then I guess this might be the car for you after all. If you're into the engineering and know what you're getting into then go for it.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
i agree with almost everyone here...my buddy has an rx8 (non turbo) and he is looking to get rid of it...i didn't find it all that exciting of a car...not to mention you are at the mercy of mazda for maintenance if you have engine issues...they suck in the snow due to the rwd...i would buy a copy of consumer reports before you buy a mistake, imo

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
yeah, the rx8 is poopy. i would def say to get a car or truck. having a bike for your only vehicle is a bad idea. the rx8 retail value is fukking awful to. it depreciates really bad. if you want something sporty that can haul your rr. get a chevy 1500 ss. those have plenty of power and it can take your bike to the track! but then again, you being 19, insurance will be ridiculously high, for any vehicle you get. specially a sports car. good luck.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
i have done my research on them. my car only get 20mpg that i dive now. i am keeping the car i have now for towing.

i know about the maintenance and the engine. i like it because it has the rotatory engine.

i will never turbo it. i want a fun car thats mostly stock and this seems to be one that is.

they are very cheap used compared to use. they are like 32k new. i am looking at a 05 with 35k miles and full service records for 11k.
Ever think there might be a reason for the dramatic decline in price? It's not just the 15 MPG you have to worry about, it's the extra cost of filling the oil up too every 2nd fill up.

I'm just curious, what is you like about it having a rotatory engine? Specifically.

Have you ever driven it or any of the other cars that have been suggested for you?

It sounds like we have very similar situations. I have an S2000 for a peppy little car and a Celica for a tow pig. (I've since came to my senses and I'm selling the S2000 for a Tacoma.)

It's your choice again, but don't say we didn't tell you so when it locks up after forgetting and turning the engine off before it reached operating temperature.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts