Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am in the process of searching/getting a used bike, and I was wondering if all you bike experts out there can give me tips/advices on what to look for or what to watch out for when buying a used bike....

Any advice would be appreciated....thanks in advance.

·
Registered
142 Posts
This is by far the best guide I have ever come across for evaluating the condition of a used motorcycle. The best part is you don't need to bring a mechanic with you after spending the time to read over this "how to". You might even consider printing it out as a checklist when you actually go to look at a bike since there is so much to remember.

http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Very nice.... That covers a lot. You can tell if the seller is hiding something. You will have a feeling inside. Listen to the feeling. T

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Thats a good link. Lots of info.

The things I mainly look for are wear on the tires, chain and sprockets since they might need to be changed immediately and could cost you anywhere from a couple hundred to a thousand bucks depending on the type of components you want to replace them with. If they are in bad condition use it as a bargaining chip.

Next look at all the crash points (barends, lever ends, swingarm bolts, passenger pegs, engine cover, etc) to make sure it hasn't been wrecked. Any scratches are a dead give away. If you see them ask what happened. The excuses are usually pretty funny and can instantly tell you the guys lying meaning this isn't an honest guy to buy from. One time a guy tried to tell me a homeless man tried to rip the fairing off one night when he parked it downtown,... ya right. You can also do a background check on it thru a VIN check.

Next take a test drive if all looks well. Never, never buy a bike without riding it. You will be able to tell almost immediately how it feels. Any bad vibrations or rattles, excessive engine noise or other noises could signal something is wrong.

Another word of advice would be to take a day or 2 before you actually buy the bike you like. I've been pretty gung-ho about a bike when its right infront of me, but after having time to reflect on it, I've changed my mind. It can also be a good way of making the guy lower his price.

Good Luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts