Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking around and I found a bike for sale at a good price, the catch is the guy says the title was stolen from his car, I know theres a chance that its a scam but I have the vin # to check it out but Ive only seen pictures of the bike so I will have to double check the # up close. So anyway Im asking if any anybody know how you would get a new title? and what other kinds of things I should check to make sure the bike is not stolen? If it helps the bike is in the state of california.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it a 2001 kawi zr7 not in the best of shape for 1G, I know it sounds like a scam to me too, but a buddy of mine needs a bike and I figured Id pick up from his house and get a copy of his ID. And also I just saw on the DMV if you want to sell the bike with out a title we (buyer/seller) have to fill out an app. for duplicate title and have it notarized with both our signatures on it. So I guess that questions been anwsered.

Does the engine number have to be checked too?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cbrmarc said:
get someone in LE to run the VIN. the owner will need to apply for the duplicate title before sale. went thru this back in 2003.
whats LE?....

·
Registered
760 Posts
sorry, Law Enforcement. most police stations are set up where you can walk in, explain you're going to be purchasing a bike that has no title, they'll run it and let you know if it has been reported stolen. most of the time if you give the sellers name they'll at least verify that he's the last owner. every place is different. PM me with the VIN and i'll get some info for you.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thaks cbrmarc, Ill check it though the station is on the way home from work.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dr.Spank said:
for that price i wouldn't even worry about a title...Just get a bill of sale and use it as a track bike
this would be the first time I do this, so whats a bill of sale?
?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts