Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, went onto their website DDMtuning and they give several options for their lights. My question is what all do i need for my bike? Most of you know the prices range from $44.95 - 140. Which do i purchase for a complete system? I dont have the owners manual for my bike so im in the dark. Maybe a stupid question but i still need an answer. Which do i go with? Im not exactly sure what they mean by fixed bulb and are their 2 systems on the 06 CBR? Anyways thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
do a search and you'll find tons of threads. some things to look for though or slim ballast (make sure they have internal ignitors unless you want to mount even more stuff), 35W not 55W, (some have had melting harnesses from this) and lastly i would say stay around the 4500K to 6000K (4500K is the brightest and 6000K is the purest looking white). i hope that initially helps you out. again, do a search but i'm sure others will throw some advice as well.

later

·
Registered
138 Posts
55w will produce more heat and drown out more color but you get roughly 30-40% more light output. Personally I think its excessive, I'd stick with 35w to be safe. I'm sure someone has done it before but best to find out before trying it yourself.

DDM slim ballast have the ignitor inline but the ballast are so small mounting isn't a problem at all, I had no problem installing my kit. As far as which kit to buy that depends on what kind of bulb type your bike uses.

For instance if it uses an H7 bulb for both low beam and high beam, then...you can either go same color for both bulbs or custom colors for each bulb.

Same color would be a 2xbulb 2xballast H7 6,000K for instance
Different color would be a 2xbulb (1 H7 3,000K 1 H7 6,000)k 2xballast

The possibilities are endless you can also get one bulb type and another bulb type, again depending on your bike.

EDIT: (Difference? Question)

Unless your bike normally uses a high/low bulb (bulb that acts as both a low beam and high beam) you will NOT need a hi/lo bulb and a fixed bulb. An example of a hi/lo bulb would be an H4, H13, 9007/9004. A good way to find out is turn on your headlights low only, do you have one side lit or both sides? Now flip on high beams does both sides get brighter or only one side. If both sides then they are both hi/lo bulbs, if one side gets brighter and other stays the same you have a fixed bulb and a hi/lo bulb.

·
Whoring Is What I Do
5,886 Posts
35w is what your current headlight harnesses draw, so I'd go with 35w. I've got the
35w 8000k for both hi/low beam, if you go with the 50w, you'll need to purchase a HID relay so it doesnt initially draw too much power to where your bike wont start.

I honestly like the HID relay..because how cool does it look to start your bike..with no lights..then within 5 seconds, have the HIDS kick on. Definately something cool to show to everyone!

You'll need two ballast two bulbs, they are relatively easy to install, its all plug and play. Any questions, just shoot me a pm.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
55w will produce more heat and drown out more color but you get roughly 30-40% more light output. Personally I think its excessive, I'd stick with 35w to be safe. I'm sure someone has done it before but best to find out before trying it yourself.

DDM slim ballast have the ignitor inline but the ballast are so small mounting isn't a problem at all, I had no problem installing my kit. As far as which kit to buy that depends on what kind of bulb type your bike uses.

For instance if it uses an H7 bulb for both low beam and high beam, then...you can either go same color for both bulbs or custom colors for each bulb.

Same color would be a 2xbulb 2xballast H7 6,000K for instance
Different color would be a 2xbulb (1 H7 3,000K 1 H7 6,000)k 2xballast

The possibilities are endless you can also get one bulb type and another bulb type, again depending on your bike.

EDIT: (Difference? Question)

Unless your bike normally uses a high/low bulb (bulb that acts as both a low beam and high beam) you will NOT need a hi/lo bulb and a fixed bulb. An example of a hi/lo bulb would be an H4, H13, 9007/9004. A good way to find out is turn on your headlights low only, do you have one side lit or both sides? Now flip on high beams does both sides get brighter or only one side. If both sides then they are both hi/lo bulbs, if one side gets brighter and other stays the same you have a fixed bulb and a hi/lo bulb.
Hey, that does makes sense, ya its the same as any other 06 CBR 600rr... running lights only show one side lit (right side i believe) And when you hit the high beams the other side turns on. So i guess i dont need to the Hi/low bulb and fixed... or do I?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Nope you should only need two fixed bulbs, I dont know what bulb type the 06 rr uses but I'm sure someone on here does. Its most likely an H7 or an H11. Another thing if you get same bulb type, same color its obviously cheaper then if you mix and match.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks guys for your reply's. Im just new at this but need to make my bike my own still. I think ill go with the 5000K or the 6000K but what i still dont understand is the bulb type. For example, the H7 vs the H6M or the D2S (+10$) or D2R. Is the H7 specific to the Honda CBR 600RR? and the others specific to say yamaha, suz, or dukes?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yes every bike uses a certain bulb type. I think the RR uses an H7 but again like I said someone that has done it before can tell you for sure. Or I'm sure a bike shop can probably tell you as well, or you can pull the bulb and find out. Its most definitely not D2S, H6M

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
i'm really surprised one of the vendors has not posted in here...maybe because it's thanksgiving? my last little input, i only swapped my low beam with a hid instead of both. i don't even use my high beam anymore but i'm actually thinking of getting a 3000K for it. it would kind of look like my 03 but with hid's instead of just replacement bulbs. thinking of the gold since it's good for fog. here's an idea;

later

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I've got the 55w HID.

I've turned the bike on for about a full 60 seconds and let the high and low beams draw on just the battery to see how much time I actually have. (The bike still started right up)

The light output from the 55w HID is simply amazing.

It all depends on where you do most of your riding. If you live in the city with a lot of street lights and such then the 55w is probably an overkill. But if your like me and live in the country than 55w is needed on the dark country roads.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
also depends on your battery age...just like an old man, things don't work as well at age :)

later

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
i got mine from a local vendor...they are apexcone slim ballast. when i lived in san antonio i didn't really need them but now in germany, they are really nice. i still see 50/55 watt as overkill. especially since our bikes were not meant for hid's. but hey, i can't tell you what to get and what to get. electricity will still flow no matter what the temperature. short rides in low temps with 55w will should be ok, but when you are in warmer temps and running higher wattage's, that's when plastic connections and wires begin to fail.

later

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
nice! Hows the riding in germany? I still am not completely sure if i need the full kit with the hi/low and fixed bulb. it kinda makes sense tho, does it not? I mean on the 06 RR the right side is fixed and the other is your hi beam... so ya maybe i do just need two bulbs and the ballasts. hmm does every kit from DDM come with slim ballasts?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.