Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Buying First Bike.....Need Advice.....

1K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  TribalCBR06 
#1 ·
Ok, so I am probably going to be buying a used bike this week. Regardless of what bike I find/decide on, what exactly do I do when I want to buy it? Last time I bought any sort of vehicle was when I bought my Camaro brand new from a dealership in late 2000. Whats the best way to make the transaction? Cash? Money Order? Also after I give the guy the money what do I need from him? Because it will be a local sale so I will be meeting him in person. Do I just sign the title or something and its mine? What do I have to do as far as the DMV is concerned? Plates/Registration?

These may seem like silly questions, but its been so long since I have had to do anything other than just re-register my car that I have no idea. Also I don't know if it makes a difference, but I live in Southern California.

#2 ·
Cash is best.
Make sure the title is free of leins.
Have him sign the title over to you as you hand over the cash.
Take title to DMV, get a new one with your name on it.
Then registering should be a breeze once the title is in your name.
You may want to work something out with using his plates if you plan to drive the bike before getting your own plates.

Otherwise, I think that is it. Anyone else feel free to correct me. :)

#5 ·
thanks for reminding me i need to transfer the title on my fiddy!

#7 ·
I'm in Torrance also. Most people want cash. You can go look at the bike,,,most people won't let you ride it. You can ask to see the owner start it up and ride it up and down the steet for you. He should make out a bill of sale and fill out and sign the back of or attached portion of the original title that is a transfer of title. He then is to send a release of title to the DMV, although some don't bother. You then go to the DMV and register the bike with the signed over title in hand, pay fees..they will give you a temp title and the new title will come in the mail in 6-8 weeks. So...all you need is from him: bike,original title that is signed over to you by him and make sure the title is in his name already, bill of sale stating vin number, make, model of bike, how much he sold to you for, and signed.

#8 ·
sounds about right. cash is always good for payment but i'm not comfortable handing loads of mulah so i recommend paying by check if possible. make sure title is clear and have the seller make and sign a written bill of sale to you. then take the title over to dmv for registration and plates. don't forget u have to pay for taxes etc. good luck

what bike were u looking at btw?

#9 ·
You might want to consider cashier's check. That way, it's gaurenteed to clear and he shouldn't have any questions. Most banks will give you a certain number per year free if you have an open account there, I know Bank of America does.

So, on a simliar note, I'm also looking at used bikes. I was about to make another post, but I think I'll put it here instead:

When looking at used bikes, what should I look for to make sure I don't get screwed?

-Chris

#11 ·
+1 If theres an after market sticker on it as dumb as it sounds ask whats under it.. I bought mine and it had to AMA racing stickers on it..... Yep got home took them off and 2 huge scratchs under them...so just be on the look out

#17 ·
I dunno, starting on a 600 seems pretty reasonable to me. Plus its not the first time I have ever riden a bike, just the first one I have owned. Like I said at first I had my heart set on a 03+RR, but now I'm more leaning towards R6s. I tried to buy one today but the guy only wanted cash, and wouldn't take my money orders. He seemed a bit nervous since he didn't know me, which I can kinda understand.

#16 ·
What I look for:
1. Have a qualified mechanic that you trust give the bike a once over. They usually charge about $50. A lot of people think this is a waste of time but I have refused to purchase a couple of bikes due to what the mechanic found.

2. Meet at the sellers house. I'll usually take a look around and see how they care for their house, car or whatever else you can see. If they don't take care of their car or home then they probably didn't take care of the bike.

3. Too many aftermarket parts. If there are a bunch of performance parts on the bike or recently taken off (they'll tell you because they'll want to sell them to you separately) they probably beat the **** out of the bike. I prefer to buy bikes that are stock and mod them myself.

4. Tire wear or pegs ground down. If the tires have no chicken strips and the pegs are ground down then the seller probably beat the **** out of the bike.

5. Never buy if the bike is the sellers first bike and they bought it new. They will readily volunteer this information since it seems harmless. The reason I won't buy is most newbies won't break in the bike the way that I believe a bike should be broken in. I broke a bike in keeping the revs down and babying it (common way for newbies to break in a bike because they can't ride) and the piece of **** burned massive amounts of oil.

#19 ·
Word of advice, I've owned a few Yamaha's and Honda's. The Honda is a better bike in part because they are so damn strong and do not typically require a lot of maintenance. Yamaha makes good bikes, but they are not quite on the level of a Honda. If this is your first bike, get a Honda....trust me. You aren't finding any RR's because people hang onto them...like most Honda bikes. :fiddy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.