Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a bike and was hoping to get some advice from around the board.

The bike is a 2003 Honda CBR600RR and has just over 1,500 miles on it. The seller claims that it runs good, but it needs a new body kit and battery. The asking price is $1500.

Let me know what you think, any input would be helpful.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Is the seller overseas right now but he really needs to get rid of it and he'll ship it to you're place?... Give use some details. Where did you find this bike? Why does a 5 year old bike only have 1,500 miles on it? Obviosly it was crashed if it needs a new body kit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found the bike on craigslist, but no he is not one of the shipping scammers. The bike is somewhat local and he has an open invitation to come take a look at it any time.
I havent had much chance to get a lot of details about the damage, but what he told me is that it was damaged when being loaded onto his truck and fell back on its right side.
He claims with the exception of the battery, the bike runs strong.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Run the VIN check to make sure it's not stolen. Ask for registration papers. Come take a look at the bike and feel out the seller.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Go by and see it first. If you have any friends with some mechanical knowledge, bring him along. Get the VIN # off the bike and also off the engine. make sure they match and make sure the bike isnt stolen. Ask the guy if he has the title in hand.
If it looks like it's stolen, let the cops know.
Either this guy is a dumb ass or desparately needs the money or it is a stolen bike or some sort of scam. Or... it is some sort of frankestien bike that has been crashed and put back together but even in that case it would get more than $1,500. I'd be very wary.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The bike is located in chesterfield, VA. The area code of the phone number listed matches up with the location.

How would I go about running the VIN number?

I dont know any friends that have enough mechanical knowledge,

·
Registered
939 Posts
far to good to be true, seeing as though I 'm in europe, how much should this bike be worth?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What is fubared?

Thanks for the input from everyone, gave me some stuff to think about. I'm gonna give the seller a call in a bit and maybe i can get a better idea.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
yeah, go check that thing out in person after you get the vin and call your local government transportation department. Bring jumper cables and cash. good find!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
maybe I am wrong, but doesn't it look like the frame or swingarm is bent on the bike ? the picture that shows the bike from the back just doesn't look right to me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just spoke with the seller, everything sounds legit and he even gave me the VIN.
Unfortunately, he was very confident the bike would not be available after tonight.
Anyway, thanks for all the advice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts