Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A dealer close to me has 2 leftover '03's and I'm probably going to be going to pick one up in the next week or so. I've been reading the boards for about a month and a half now just taking in lots of info about these bikes. Is there anything in particular that I need to bring up to the dealer about purchasing one? I know that I have heard of some electrical problems with the 03's, such as dead batteries or non-charging batteries. Also, do you think 7k + Tax OTD is good? BTW, its black :twisted:

Thanks

·
Registered
584 Posts
7k OTD sounds even better lol, have you tried to argue him down anymore? Just curious. I have heard on here of guys getting some awesome deals on 03 left overs. Either way, the only problem I know of is the electrical problem with the voltage regulator. Other than that, enjoy.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It's a damn race bike....nothing wrong w/the charging system unless you install neon lights or something!

Dealer cost is almost $7300...pretty good deal if there is no back end(b.s. fees!)

·
Registered
417 Posts
you need to find out the OTD price, i paid 8700 for mine. You should push for 7000 OTD, because no one is going to buy it if its not significantly cheaper than the 04s.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't really haggled with him at all. I just called him up today and spoke with him about it briefly. I'm just waiting to close the deal on selling my camaro before I get in there and buy it. I thought it sounded like a hell of a deal though.:cool:

I was just sort of concerned that the battery in the bikes (if they even put one in them on the showfloor) might need to be replaced or something along those lines.

·
Ducati Champion Del Mondo
7,847 Posts
7K tax or not sounds good/ fair to me, go for it!

:thumbup: Jason

·
Registered
595 Posts
after tax tags and registration it may go above $8k, right? If that is the case, i would just get an '04...those are going for $8500 otd. If you are close to the dealer, that $7499 deal on the cbr600rr site would be a better deal, unless you are specifically looking to buy an '03 from a dealership.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With tax it would be like $7500, and I'm not sure what it's going to cost to get it registered. I was looking to find one used for around $6500 but found this deal and figured for 500 bucks it would be worth it to get one new. Also, its not for sure that I can't talk him down to $7k OTD since I haven't really persued it very much yet. And I dont really understand how the $7499 would be a better deal, I would still have to pay tax and get that sucker registered. Right? :scratch:

·
Registered
160 Posts
MAD1 said:
that $7499 deal on the cbr600rr site would be a better deal, unless you are specifically looking to buy an '03 from a dealership.

I called them last week as I was interested in the deal. I live in NJ right near NYC, so getting $1 below MSRP is a "good deal" around here. Ie... bikes sell like hot cakes and if you dont buy it at very near MSRP someone else will.

Anyhow... I called about the $7499 bike, heres how it broke down...

$7500 bike
$350 setup
$50 doc fee
$400 shipping to NJ

Which left me at $8300. Add in my state sales tax... $498 and I was at $8800. Then add in my DMV costs of $150 and my "virtual" OTD price is $8950.

I went to a local dealer and here's what I got....

$8399 bike
$0 setup
$550 tax
$150 DMV

Total OTD $9100.

Now, the $7499 "deal" was totally not worth it to me. Saving $150 is just not worth it. It not worth it to not be able to see the bike beforehand and not have someone to punch in the face when something goes wrong. ;)

So anyway, I ended up getting a left over '03 in yellow for $1000 cheaper than the '04, but I threw on the 5yr warranty (sucker, I know) for a total of $8500 and change. :)

Ordered my Yoshi today, Larry's fender elim, and some flush mounts. Picking the bike up on Tuesday.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Go in there with $7k in your hands and tell him you want the keys and a 4 year extended warranty out the door - not a penny more, or a penny less. When he balks, leave him your phone # and walk away. I guarandamntee you that you'll have a call by the next day asking you to come on back so's we can work this out. You may settle on a few hundred more, but you may not.

Good luck kemosabby.

·
Ducati Champion Del Mondo
7,847 Posts
I think the bottom line is, if that is the best price you can find local, go for it! You are going to find people all over this board who paid all kinds of different prices for their bike... Its has a lot to do with where you live. Anywhere around 7K is good. Just buy it, you will be happy you did. :bounce:

Jason

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
blackstripes said:
One more thing, :D Am I going to have an option for an extended warranty and if so, does anyone have an idea of its cost and coverage? Is it worth it?
Hell No! IMO, It only covers "Manufacturing Defects" and specifically does not cover so many items that it is not worth it. If I remember right, they wanted close to $600 for the additional 4 years. IMO it's like buying the extended warranty at sears.

·
Registered
504 Posts
and

Sixual Healing said:
Got my 03 a month ago for $6499 OTD ..hehe...I love posting that!

BTW...new ones are only $400 more.
Why do you love posting that? Big deal...i got my 03 a few months ago for 7500 not OTD. It alll depends on supply and demand, the area you live in. If I didnt get mine that second it would have been gone the next day. Where do you live? Iowa?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I definitely agree that prices depend on your area, but I also think that most people are too impatient to really find where the optimum price for their location is. You get so excited about the thought of purchasing a new bike that you manage to reason yourself up to the first price the dealer throws at you. My advice is to seriously shop around and let the dealer know that's exactly what you're doing. Cash in hand with the intention to buy soon also helps. Also, try the "fax/email attack" if you can find 8+ dealers within a 100 mile radius or so. A lot of people will tell you to buy locally to build a relationship with your dealer but IMHO this is BS. The last place I would go to for service and/or parts are the local dealerships.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts