Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found the perfect bike... but it's in another state...

I'm willing to pay some money to get it shipped but i was wondering how much it would cost to ship a motorcycle from MN to CA.

Also what shipping company would you guys recommend? And about how much does it cost?

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
well i just paid 800 to ship a car from georgia to texas so a motorcycle should be a lot less.
not necessarily...when I was shopping around I found a bike in upstate New York 2 hours away. I would have rode it home but I didnt want to chance it w/o proper registration. Even for such a short distance, shipping companies quoted me $650 and said thats the starting rate for shipping. I called other shipping companies and got the same exact price!!

I was thinking maybe 200 or so for a bike. Now I realize its just as expensive to ship a bike than it is a car

·
Registered
157 Posts
How many miles are on it? If it doesn't have 7500 miles you cant legally register it in CA. So you will need to find a gauge cluster with 7500+ miles on it and write in that mileage on the bill of sale

·
Moto GP Racer
3,753 Posts
I used Uship and paid $635 from a reputable motorcycle specific transporter.

However make sure the bike you're buying has enough mileage. You can't buy a bike with under 7k miles?(gotta look it up again) and register it in CA. My RC51 met all the prereqs

·
Registered
132 Posts
yeah, has to be over 7.5k my boy is still going dealing with that. i just baught a bike from CO. and im in cali, cost me $612 to my door. i used JCmotors and its been real easy, but they divide the country up into three zones and thats how they judge price. obviously its gonna be more expensive to ship from like NY or something, but if you keep it with in the mid west it should be about $612.

·
Moto GP Racer
3,753 Posts
Mine came from mid Florida to The California coast. I was impressed I got such a decent deal. Some guy offered to do it for $400 but it would have been in the back of his pickup and it wasn't a licensed business so I didn't go for it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Mine came from mid Florida to The California coast. I was impressed I got such a decent deal. Some guy offered to do it for $400 but it would have been in the back of his pickup and it wasn't a licensed business so I didn't go for it.

wow that would be quite the deal, wouldnt even start to cover the gas money it would take to go coast to coast in a truck lol.

def not worth the risk.

with JC you get a little over $7000 of insurance standard.

·
Moto GP Racer
3,753 Posts
wow that would be quite the deal, wouldnt even start to cover the gas money it would take to go coast to coast in a truck lol.

def not worth the risk.

with JC you get a little over $7000 of insurance standard.
Yeah supposedly he had to drive out here anyway (the guy with the pickup). But I opted to pay a few hundred more for a pro. He had a huge trailer packed with bikes. He's contantly making runs from the East coast to the West. The company is called FreedomBikeandTrike.

·
Post Whore Extraordinaire
19,904 Posts
i drove all the way to delaware to pick up my bike, form a fellow forum member.
then i took the train to Jersey to buy my car i from another forum member on bimmerforums.

both vehicles all i say were pics and got a good honest vibe from the sellers.
both turned out to be in EXCELLENT condition and steal of a deal.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Has it been hard to find a bike locally? Going through all the shipping and worring the bike is gonna get damaged or isnt in good shape to begin with just seems like a lot of extra stress to me. But GL man, hope it all works out well.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Has it been hard to find a bike locally? Going through all the shipping and worring the bike is gonna get damaged or isnt in good shape to begin with just seems like a lot of extra stress to me. But GL man, hope it all works out well.
I just sold my 07 600rr and I'm trying to get a 1098. I'm located in San Diego and for one reason or another, there doesn't seem to be one for the price i want it at around here. The closest 1098 i can find for a decent price is in LA (2 hours north of here), and that's something i don't want to risk riding back down to San Diego without proper registration or insurance. I found one for the price range i want it at and it'll still be cheaper than the LA one if i can ship it for around 600 bucks.

It doesn't have 7500 miles and i'm aware of that rule for CA. But hey, i believe i can still get insurance for it.. i'll just have to wait a little bit until i can fully register it under my name.

But ehh... I think I'm about to pick up a 07 r1 for cheap locally and I'm pretty sure that if i wait till the end of september, there'll be some cheap 1098's around.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I just sold my 07 600rr and I'm trying to get a 1098. I'm located in San Diego and for one reason or another, there doesn't seem to be one for the price i want it at around here. The closest 1098 i can find for a decent price is in LA (2 hours north of here), and that's something i don't want to risk riding back down to San Diego without proper registration or insurance. I found one for the price range i want it at and it'll still be cheaper than the LA one if i can ship it for around 600 bucks.

It doesn't have 7500 miles and i'm aware of that rule for CA. But hey, i believe i can still get insurance for it.. i'll just have to wait a little bit until i can fully register it under my name.

But ehh... I think I'm about to pick up a 07 r1 for cheap locally and I'm pretty sure that if i wait till the end of september, there'll be some cheap 1098's around.
You can insure the bike in LA before you buy it and that would be just as good as the out of state one, AND you can register it and look at it before you buy it. Because either way your gonna be rolling illegal. But in any case i hope it does work out for you. R1s are fun too.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You can insure the bike in LA before you buy it and that would be just as good as the out of state one, AND you can register it and look at it before you buy it. Because either way your gonna be rolling illegal. But in any case i hope it does work out for you. R1s are fun too.
Yeah... i did some math and i figured i could ride the r1 around for a bit and then switch off to a 1098 when the prices are lower, as opposed to buying high now and selling low later on.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts